Contemporary maps of Solomon airifelds

Discussion about books, videos, DVDs, games and other media related to the Pacifc Theatre.

Moderator: Moderator

roger-wilco-66
Corporal

Contemporary maps of Solomon airifelds

Post by roger-wilco-66 »

Hi group,

I see all these snippets of simple (army?) maps of the airfields and other installations in the Solomon Islands here on PW and wonder if there is a source or a database somewhere, and if and where these images are retrievable. I would need them for a private research project to see how they looked like and were organzied from above, and to pinpoint their correct location. The snippets are a little small and don't show the surrounding land, except for a some very few. Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

richard rudd
1st Lieutenant

Re: Contemporary maps of Solomon airifelds

Post by richard rudd »

Try the Lands Department, Honiara SI. In 71 we flew aerial mapping imagery around Honiara at various scales, when the old fields were more visible than they are now. It was all B&W stuff, but the prints and negs might still remain on file, in storage, archived ?? Also covered San Cristobal Is, Tulagi, and Rennell Is... sunken Catalinas in the lake there, I was told. There was a wartime attempt to put a strip on Santa Cruz, but virulent cerebal malaria apparently put a stop to that. We also covered most of the Eastern Outer Islands, and when based at the bush strip on Santa Cruz, had the opportunity to snorkel dive on a sunken Cat in Graciosa Bay. Straffed during the Battle of Santa Cruz??