Emirau Island

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Rachel75
Corporal

Emirau Island

Post by Rachel75 »

Hi,
Just after anyone that was stationed on Emirau Island towards the end of WW2.
My Grandfather was there and kept several diaries - would be great to know more about the people mentioned in them...or people who were there at the same time.
Cheers

Rachel75
Corporal

Re: Emirau Island

Post by Rachel75 »

A little further information:
His name is Charles 'Chic' Elsmore.
He was in charge of 5 SU and worked with 10 SU.
He was in the RNZAF Fire and Servicing Units.
He was stationed there between October 1944 until September 1945

Chooky
Private

Post by Chooky »

Hi Rachel
might be a long shot, but I visited the RNZAF museum at Wigram a few years back & one of the guides said he was stationed on Emirau. I can't remember if he was in an SU or a pilot. You can probably send an enquiry to the museum via: info@airforcemuseum.co.nz incase he or any other ex WW2 guides have been stationed there. Cheers Rob

Rachel75
Corporal

Post by Rachel75 »

Hi Rob,
Thanks for that! I will contact Wigram and see if they can help me :)
Cheers
Rachel

sherryl
Private

Post by sherryl »

Hello Rachel, I hope you were able to find some information about your grandfather. My husbands uncle was stationed on Emirau with the American Marines flying a bomber unit. His name was Donald Holz PFC and his plane crashed with another plane as he was taking off and they were landing. No survivors. It seems they crashed over the water so no bodies were recovered. Was there any mention in your grandfathers diary? The date was February 27, 1945. Grateful for any info, thank you. Sherryl

Rachel75
Corporal

Post by Rachel75 »

Hi Sherryl,
Thanks for your post. I checked my diary file and below is what he wrote on that day. He had a whole bunch of mates that he was stationed with on the island and we are hoping to find someone that is still alive, but its a bit hard going at the moment. If I find one, will ask about your Uncle too and let you know.
Hope this helps...
Cheers
Rachel

Tuesday 27th
Day off today got up at eight when strike went out then two PBJ collided in the air the crew of one bailed out except CO & pilot went over to south strip in tender & saw them bring plane in, other plane went into sea all hands lost only two of five bailed out found also something about PBY going in also don't know much about it, also some Japs on New Guinea took a C 47 & got away with it & they can't be found

sherryl
Private

Post by sherryl »

Hi Rachel, Thanks so much for your reply. It seems like such a small thing, but it means a lot to know that his passing left its mark if only a short side note in a fellow heroes diary. Thanks again and good luck in your search. Sherryl

Rachel75
Corporal

Post by Rachel75 »

Hi Sherryl,
Not a problem...I agree it is a special thing.
Its sure a small world, I was pleased when I looked up the dates and saw what he wrote there.
Take care.
Rachel

tc64
Private

Post by tc64 »

Hi, I've just joined this site & have seen your post!

My Father was also at Emirau from October 1944 until August 1945, he was a Flight Rigger/Fitter with RNZAF 5SU so possibly knew your Grandfather. Unfortunately my Dad died in 2005, but I have all of his military things which include alot of photos of his time on Emirau, mostly around the 5SU aircraft revetments, but others also. He worked on Corsairs so most photos are of those & I still have his Corsair toolkit/roll !!
His name was James (Jim) Stewart Crarer & he was from Wairoa.
I'd be interested to hear anything at all about Emirau.

Thanks, Tony :)