USMC on Guadalcanal/USS SOUTH DAKOTA

Information about veterans of the Second World War in the Pacific, including friends and family.

Moderator: Moderator

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

USMC on Guadalcanal/USS SOUTH DAKOTA

Post by jose50 »

I had posted several queries in some of the old forums regarding my father Capt. Joseph P. Daly USMC. I remember asking about his time on Guadalcanal as a 2nd/1st Lt ( XO of B-1-1) and the Battle 0f the Tenaru. If anyone has any recollection or knows about him or LtCol Creswell's battalion during that time, pls respond to this post.
My thanks to Peter Flahavin, Bill Bartsch, Daphne Houze and Maj. Everett C. Pope (MoH) for information received.
Also, if there is anyone out there who remembers Capt. Daly while commander of MARDET USS SOUTH DAKOTA I would also encourage him to post a reply.
Many thanks, Jose50

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

same stuff

Post by jose50 »

Nothing new, Just repeating my request for stories/anecdotes on 1MARDIV while on Guadalcanal. Especially any recollections of 2/1 Lt. Joe Daly XO B 1-1. Battle of Tenaru stories, Melbourne stories, etc.
Also, any stories/anecdotes regarding USS SOUTH DAKOTA while Capt. Daly was commander of the MARDET on board 1943-45. Thanks in advance. Jose50

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

nothing new.

Post by jose50 »

Here it is March of 2007. Nothing new, just visiting the post to see if anyone has sent in a reply. Capt. J P DALY would have been 88 years old this year. My research has gleaned a few extra facts about Guadalcanal and LTCOL Cresswell's battalion. I also notice that my post has been viewed more than 900 times, more than any other in this forum. I invite anyone interested in that era to please leave at least a comment or an observation. Thanks all for your interest, Joe

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

1st MARDIV on GUDALCANAL

Post by jose50 »

Just an update here. at some point during the Gudalcanal campaign by the 1st MARDIV (AUG-DEC42) LT J P DALY was field promoted. I don't know the circumstances and wonder if anyone out there reading this could comment.
Also repeating my requests for any stories/anecdotes regarding LTCOL Cresswell's battalion (1st of the 1st, 1st MARDIV) or the MARDET/ USS SOUTH DAKOTA regarding it's CO, CAPT Joseph P Daly USMC.
Thanks, Joe Daly

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

USMC on Guadalcanal/USS SOUTH DAKOTA BB-57

Post by jose50 »

jose50 here again. It seems that I post a reply to my own posts at the rate of about three per year. I notice, however, that this topic receives more attention than any other in this forum. I must infer, therefore, that there are folks out there who are interested in this particular topic, i.e 1st MARDIV on Guadalcanal and/or USS SOUTH DAKOTA. If you were there, please leave a story or an anecdote. If you're just interested in this particular bit of history, please leave a comment. I look forward to reading them.
Of course if anyone out there remembers my father, LT/CAPT Joseph P. Daly of Medford, MA, please reply to this post or to a private message to me. Thanks once again for your kind attention. Regards, Joe

whitesharkseeker
2nd Lieutenant

Post by whitesharkseeker »

Hi,

Have you visited the Marine Corps Archives or obtained the official after action reports/war diary for that unit during the battle? I am a Peleliu researcher and just want to point you in the right direction. Also, 1st Mar. Div. reunions used to be a good source finding former Marines who would have served in that unit but, sadly, the veterans are passing on...

Please continue to keep us posted and I will keep an eye out for you too.

-Eric

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jose50 »

Thank you for that info. I tried a year or two ago to contact the USMC historical command but found that they were in the middle of moving from the Washington Navy Yard to Quantico. I Hope that they've made that move by now. Is it possible to do research online? It's all but impossible for me to undertake a trek to Virginia.
Thank you again for your kind reply. Joe

whitesharkseeker
2nd Lieutenant

Joe,

I'm not sure if it is possible to research online or not. The Marine Archives have records, some on mico film, including unit rosters, official action and after-action reports and war diaries. I'm planning a trip to Quantico and the Archives soon so may be able to check into this for you. Right now I'm in the process of locating a few specific Marine survivors of Peleliu that proved key witnesses to a Japanese field gun that was destroyed. It still rests in the position it was knocked out.

Cheers, Eric

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jose50 »

Eric, Thanks (in advance) for checking on the internet research. Just in case you do get there, I am interested primarily in LTCOL Creswell's battalion, especially unit after action reports as I am trying to put together a timeline of my father's experiences on the 'Canal. (He was XO of B-1-1)
In relation to your Pelelieu research: have you tried to get in touch with Major Everett Pope? I think that he's still in Florida though I haven't heard about him lately. I contacted him a few years ago regarding the Guadalcanal campaign and he very graciously answered my letter with some great information. If he's still there, he probably can point you in the right direction as well as those other veterans. You probably already know that he earned the Medal of Honor while on Pelelieu. I think I still have his address somewhere.
Thanks again for your offer.
Regards, Joe

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Why not post a message?

Post by jose50 »

Hello all, jose 50 here. I've noticed that my posts to this forum have received the most viewings: to this date almost 3,000. If you'd like to comment on anything regarding the first part of the Guadalcanal campaign or Naval operations concerning the USS SOUTH DAKOTA in the latter part of the Pacific war please do. I am also still always interested in hearing anecdotes about those days whether you be a veteran or descendant of a veteran. Thanks again for looking. Regards, Joe

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Re: USMC on Guadalcanal/USS SOUTH DAKOTA

Post by jose50 »

Hello Again... jose50 here. I'm intrigued that this particular thread has recieved the most views of all the others. Yet I have no joy as to any anecdotes or stories. If you find this subjuect to be intriguing, please leave a post. I promise I won't bite.
The first hand history of the Solomon Island campaign as well as the whole of the Pacific Theatre of WW2 is fast disappearing through old age, infirmity, loss of memory and the gradual dying off of our vets. If you are or if you know a WW2 vet, please get their stories. Don't let this living history go without recording it for posterity.
As always, I will communicate with anyone who posts but especially if it pertains to 1st MARDIV on Guadalcanal or the USS SOUTH DAKOTA, BB-57.
Thanks once again, JOE DALY

whitesharkseeker
2nd Lieutenant

Joe,

Just visited the archives...they are in College Park, MD--not Quantico. That will be the key for you since they store all the official action reports, war diaries, journals, rosters, muster rolls, etc. An amazing place! They also store the naval records and ships' logs/diaries, etc. Very overwhelming, spent two full days there to view the Peleliu material.

Yes, I have spoken numerous times with Maj. Pope. I visited Peleliu with him in 1994 and I now hear that he resides in a nursing home.

Your questions will be answered with a visit to those archives...

Good luck and cont. to be persistant, Eric

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jose50 »

Eric, Many thanks for the updated information. Life, as we know it, has taken me down several different paths lately but hopefully I will be able to devote some time to my quest soon. Again, thank you for thinking of me while in Maryland at the archives. Best regards, Joe

DRBOGO
Corporal

Post by DRBOGO »

Hello Everyone,
I'm a new member to the Forum. I've been interested in the Pacific Theater of WW2 after finding a box containing a scrapbook and wartime letters to my Mom from her bother, PFC. John Rivers U.S.M.C.R. 1st Marines, 1st Division, 2nd Battalion, Company H, 11th machine gun squad at the tender age of nine(not quite fifty years ago). As many of you may already know John(he was known to Jackie to the family)was awarded the Navy Cross(posthumously) for his actions during the Guadalcanal Campaign, specifically the Ilu Sandbar/Lagoon battle. If there are any Veterans or descendants of Veterans of the early Guadalcanal battles who have information, documents photographs anything which they would be willing to share I would be most appreciative and will reciprocate if possible. Peter Flahavin, an Australian native and by way of his conversations with Guadalcanal Veteran( and his dear friend) Wilbur Bewley have provided me with invaluable information and insight into a more accurate account of the engagement. In the course of studying, researching, talking to veterans it has come to my understanding the facts of what truly happened that hellish August night have been twisted to fit someone or some thing's agenda. Before the facts are forever lost to time I'd like to set the record straight.

jose50
2nd Lieutenant

Post by jose50 »

[b]Hi, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to reply to this post. You can do no better than to be in contact with Peter Flahavin regarding the Guadalcanal campaign. There is a gentleman, however, who is researching a book about the Tenaru River fight. He is Bill Bartsch and I'm sorry to say that I've lost his contact information but I'm sure that Mr Flahavin will know how to reach him.
My father was XO of B-1-1 (Cresswel's battalion) and as such was tasked to do a flanking maneuver that night of August 19/20 1942. His Company swung left around the cocoanut plantation to turn the enemy's flank on the beach below the Tenaru (Ilu) creek. After which B-1-1 participated in the 'mop-up' phase of that battle.
Please take a look at the "Armchair General" forums where I can usually be found. Thanks, jose50[/b]