B-25 lost off New Britain 6/6/44

Details about those listed as missing or killed in the Pacific, including current search operations.

Moderator: Moderator

wes
Sergeant

B-25 lost off New Britain 6/6/44

Post by wes »

My son and I are doing research on a S/Sgt Harry Stickel who was a bombardier on a B-25 listed as MIA on June 6, 1944 off of New Britain.

No known relatives to contact at this point.

Our interest initially was due to his being an Ohio state swimming champion, All American and member of a National Record setting swim relay in 1939.

In doing research we found that he lost his life in the Pacific Theater on June 6, 1944. Don’t know much on the military end at this point other than the following:

Harry J. Stickel, #15103047, S/Sgt.

US Army AC 13th Air Force, 69th Bomb Squad, 42nd Bomb Group

Presumption of death Feb. 9, 1946

Memorialized at Manila American Cemetery Tablets of the Missing

Awards: Air Medal w/8 Oakleaf Clusters and Purple Heart

It appears that the closest Missing Air Crew Reports (MACR) is number 5661 which has the correct date, was a B-25, Serial # 42-65143 and was from the 42nd Group. We are in the process of trying to get a copy of this MACR.

We would like to see if anyone has information on this MACR, can identify the plane and crew list. If anyone should know of some of the other action reports of this crew, it would be greatly appreciated.

If this is not the correct MACR, any information on H. Stickel would help us greatly.

Additionally, is the award of the Air Medal w/8 Oak leaf Clusters considered above normal for service in the Pacific in this time period?

Many thanks in advance.

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Hi there,

I would be very interested in finding out whether S/Sgt STICKEL was aboard the B-25 you mentioned.

I've done a search of the ABMC database for those in the 69th BS also presumed dead on 9-Feb-1946 and have come up with the following results:

2/Lt Clarence Alves, O-753482
S/Sgt Frank C Erickson, 33032514
1/Lt Albert J Phillips, O-795446
S/Sgt Harry J Stickel, 15103047
T/Sgt Heinz F M Wobst, 32350110

Although not confirmed as Stickel's crew, this is the same amount of people usually aboard a B-25 flight. I am also unable to find any of these personnel listed as crew members aboard any other flight.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

wes
Sergeant

B-25 lost 6/6/44

Post by wes »

Daniel, thank you so much for the prompt response. You added another piece to the puzzle.

I have enjoyed reading your other posts on this subject of lost air crews.

Does your information confirm this crew was listed in the MACR #5661 and that it was plane 42-65143?

Being new at this type of research, any suggestions on places to followup and get more information?

Related to Stickel's awards, is an air medal with 8 oakleaf clusters a significant number indicating a lot of combat missions?

Thanks again in advance from Ohio.

Wes

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

Wes,

No problems, that's what we're here for.

Unfortunately I can't confirm whether any of the above servicemen were aboard 42-65143, nor can I confirm whether they are listed in MACR 5661 ... Or even that they were part of the same crew.

The next port of call would be get a copy of the MACR either from the USAF or from a commercial source such as http://www.accident-report.com

I've checked Joe Baugher's site which lists 42-65143 as being a B-25G-10 model lost "in accident Jun 10, 1944". No other details are given.

In regards to the Air Medal... Eight Oak Leaf Clusters would indicate he had been awarded the Air Medal a total of Nine times. Whether this is a lot, I cannot say - The thing to do would be try and get copies of the citations for these decorations (if they're available).
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

Wes,

Here is the address for free MACR's
MRS LYNN GAMMA
HQ AFHRA/RSA
600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424
(334) 953-2395

MACRs (Missing Air Crew Reports) = Limit 4
-and/or-
AARs (Aircraft Accident Reports) = Limit 2 (approx 10 pages)

wes
Sergeant

B-25 missing on 6-6-4 off of New Britain

Post by wes »

Regarding my question concerning the air medal and the 8 Oak Leaf Clusters---A poster on another forum who was a gunner in WWII indicates you got an air medal after 10 combat missions. Each Oak Leaf cluster was for an additional 10 combat missions. If accurate, my question on Sgt. Stickel would indicate that he was on 90+ combat missions, prior to going MIA.

Daniel, checking your list of aviators from the ABMC data base indicates all of them had either 8 or 9 Oak Leaf Clusters, another indication these six are likely part of the same crew.

wes
Sergeant

B-25 lost off New Britain

Post by wes »

I downloaded portions of the 42nd history called "The Crusaders--a History of the 42nd Bombardment Group (M)" and on page 96 it mentions 1Lt Phillips.

The portion of the page says "June opened with the 69th, 75th and 100th in combat at Sterling and the 70th and 390th in the Russells. Lt. Bert Grantham and crew of the 75th were lost to weather on the 5th, last seen in a cloud bank 20 miles from Motupina Point, Bougainville. On the 7th, Lt. Albert J. Phillips and crew, of the 69th were also vicims of the same impenetrable front."

This has likely narrowed down what has happened to the crew Sgt Stickel was with as Daniel has laid out above. I am sending for the appropriate MACR.

Can anyone help me with the "combat at Sterling" reference in the quote?

The book also indicates that a plane was not listed as lost until a minimum of 3 days had gone by. This could explain the likely date discrepancy for the plane that may have been used by this crew.

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

I myself just send off a request for the MACR 5661.
Should get it from Maxwell AFB in a week or so, the longest I had to wait was 11 days for one.

wes
Sergeant

B-25 lost 6-7-44

Post by wes »

Do you have a connection to this particular plane and crew?

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

Nope.. just like the thrill of the search.
Going over the MACR and then going over ww2 flight maps using a last known heading, weather reports etc.

wes
Sergeant

B-25 lost on 6-6-44

Post by wes »

Leondus,

I am also sending for this particular MACR. If you should find additional information on weather, etc. that does not show up in the MACR, please advise.

I am no relative, but have become very interested in this particualr airman and his experiences.

Thanks.

Wes in Ohio

Leondus
1st Lieutenant

Post by Leondus »

wes,

Just got the MACR in today on the plane :)
Reason why it took so last was because the other MACR I requested was almost 40 pages.

give me a email

wes
Sergeant

B-25 lost 6-7-43

Post by wes »

Leondus, please email me at wfahrbach@woh.rr.com

My son Lincoln and I would appreciate anything that you have come up with.

Wes

wes
Sergeant

B-25 lost 6-7-44

Post by wes »

Dan and Leondus,

I just received my MACR report today onthe los of plane 42-65143, a b-25-G-1. The plane had the crew listed above and were lost due to bad weather--"weather very bad--turbulence in thunderhead severe--lost control o fthe plane. They were listed as "battle casualty"

Location was at 6 degrees, 30' and 54 degrees, 20' east (This could be 154 degrees due to a mark on the page).

Leondus, you had indicated you did research on the weather. Can you add any details to this report.

Not much other details, except search and rescue with 4 other b-25's for a number of hours.

I am going to try and find a web site that can give me a picture of the longitude/latitude. If you have any suggestions for a web site to do this, please advise.

wes
Sergeant

B-25 lost 6-7-44

Post by wes »

Additional review of the MACR indicates the plane was headed to "Kokopo Supply" on a bombing mission.

Web site at:http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-pa-HTTP%253A%2 ... 253DBOTTOM

indicates this was a Japanese location on New Britain. Can you give any addtional information? I will also look in the book on the history of the 42AF to see if is mentioned when I get home.

Any suggestions on how you attempt to get copies of the mission orders?