New Book on Coastwatchers

Discussion about books, videos, DVDs, games and other media related to the Pacifc Theatre.

Moderator: Moderator

Edward
Administrator

New Book on Coastwatchers

Post by Edward »

The Coast Watchers: The Men who saved the Pacific in WWII
Patrick Lindsay
(Random House 2010)

Author's Webpage
http://www.patricklindsay.com.au/the-coast-watchers/

Promo Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km6-F-udkR0

Review by Donald Lawie
http://reviews.media-culture.org.au/mod ... t&sid=4397

From the author's webpage:

"The Coast Watchers’ exploits in the Pacific Islands in World War II show that individuals can have an extraordinary impact even in a global conflict involving millions of combatants.

Mostly Australian, with some British, New Zealand and American members, the Coast Watchers hid in the jungle on the islands, constantly moving to evade enemy patrols, all the while reporting via cumbersome tele-radios that took a dozen men to transport.

What made their valour even more laudable was that they did so at a time when there was no certainty that the Allies would be able to prevail against the seemingly unstoppable invaders. The Coast Watchers risked their lives when the Japanese had total control of the region and discovery meant certain death.

The Coast Watchers reported on Japanese troop movements, warned of attacks by sea and air and saved countless civilians, downed airmen, lost soldiers and shipwrecked sailors – including the future US President John F. Kennedy.

As the tide of the war turned in the Allies’ favour, many Coast Watchers took an offensive role, leading guerrilla bands that greatly hampered the Japanese retreat.

These unheralded heroes performed extraordinary feats. Two of their most remarkable members, Paul Mason and Jack Read, worked on Bougainville under the most harrowing circumstances: with constant enemy patrols trying to eliminate them, with few supplies and uncertain support. Their warnings played a critical role in allowing the Americans to triumph on Guadalcanal.

Malcolm Wright and Peter Figgis worked from New Britain, Martin Clemens on Guadalcanal, Donald Kennedy (who led his own private army) on New Georgia Island, Reg Evans (who rescued JFK) on Kolombangara Island, Father Emery de Klerk, the warrior-priest, protected his flock by leading a guerilla band against the Japanese on Guadalcanal, the heroic islander, Simogun Pita, personally killed 31 Japanese soldiers while working with the Coast Watchers on New Britain.

I’ve been fascinated by the Coast Watchers since I first heard of their legendary deeds while on a TV assignment in Rabaul in 1983. After long and painstaking research, I can now shine some light on some of the least-known but most extraordinary heroes of the Pacific War."
Attachments
Coastwatchers_Lindsay.jpg
Coastwatchers_Lindsay.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 10920 times

Andy in West Oz
Captain

Re: New Book on Coastwatchers

Post by Andy in West Oz »

It looks good. I picked up my copy (in Australia) from Big W as I keep an eye on that and Kmart for books of this genre as they are generally a fair bit cheaper than the big bookstores. Have to be quick though as they don't seem to keep them in stock for long.
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges

Gregg
Private

Post by Gregg »

Look forward to reading this book

joad
2nd Lieutenant

Post by joad »

this book is not worth reading. it is a potted history taken from other books and a few interviews. There is sloppy editing and factual errors, e.g. a catalina is not a four engined aircraft and the evacuation of coastwatchers from New ireland was not done by PT boat etc etc and more. There is a lcak of depth or analysis and after all this time surely it would not be inappropriate to review Snowy Rhoades opinions of some of his fellow coastwatchers and some of their claims. this might have refreshed the story and added that new insight. Sadly there is none of this.
I work for the catholic church the Solomon Islands and have lived many years in the Solomons and PNG and I would love to know where the story came from that Bishop Aubin told Fr Emery De Klerk he could fire at the japanese or the natives helpiung them. If i hear it is fr ambrose and thats why he is thanked in the forward then I will have to buy ambrose a beer!!!!
As for the claim that the coastwatchers are an unkown aspect of the pacific war.......
this sort of warm fuzzy history leaves me very cold

Andy in West Oz
Captain

That's a shame, Joad. Sounds quite annoying and disappointing considering the pedigree of the author.

Simple things like getting a Catalina wrong is, really, unforgivable. I recently finished Ernest C Ford's My New Guinea Diary and was disappointed that the man's story of his WW2 flying career was marred by 'loose' editing. Great story but...
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review
I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library - Jorge Luis Borges

joad
2nd Lieutenant

Post by joad »

Hi Andy
I see from a previous post you have purchased the book, what did you think? Did you pick up on the errors? Like the mention of a coastwatcher reporting a formation of "B-52" bombers..... This mistake was repeated twice, once in what was supposed to be a verbatim radio transcript of the coastwatchers report.
adam

Andy in West Oz
Captain

Hi joad

Sorry, mate, I missed your post asking me if I'd read the book. I'm afraid I haven't yet and it will be a long time until I do.

You are absolutely correct though. There is no way in this world the "B-52" error is anything but a typo and evidence of poor proofreading and even worse referencing. Inexcusable really.
Andy Wright
Aircrew Book Review