Looking for a ship wrecked in 1942 map ref: 175.45 W

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Dena Fanshawe
Sergeant

Re: Looking for a ship wrecked in 1942 map ref: 175.45 W

Post by Dena Fanshawe »

So this does prove that the shipwrecked seaman on page 13 did not necessarily board on the 9th of June in Melbourne.
I have also been thinking about the Oropos too. First of all thank you for finding me this elusive ship. But now I see it is a Norwegian ship, I think he may have only signed for the days in port. It seems to have a very small crew and so probably all needed some leave on docking. Maybe Joe joined the crew to load/unload the cargo. I did find him on another ship doing just that.
All we are sure of is that he signed onto another ship!
I will keep going through the links you have sent me and your help has been invaluable.
Once again many thanks RS

Dena Fanshawe
Sergeant

I have found Joseph on another ship. April 1942

Post by Dena Fanshawe »

More information.
He signed onto the ship 'Panama' on the 10th of April 1942 at the port of Boston. 40 Crew of mixed nationality.
Joe is again down as Canadian
The ship had come from Bermuda to Boston.
I have not been able to find out if this could possibly be the ship that sunk.

Dena Fanshawe
Sergeant

I have found Joseph on another ship. April 1942

Post by Dena Fanshawe »

More information.
He signed onto the ship 'Panama' on the 10th of April 1942 at the port of Boston. 40 Crew of mixed nationality.
Joe is again down as Canadian
The ship had come from Bermuda to Boston.
I have not been able to find out if this could possibly be the ship that sunk.

Dena Fanshawe
Sergeant

Post by Dena Fanshawe »

NEW FIND
I have found Joseph joining the crew a ship called 'the Panama' on April the 10th 1942 .
The Ship had travelled from Bermuda to Boston. I think it was quite a small ship and tanker possibly.
The crew are mixed nationalities and the full compliment seems to be around 40 after some left and others signed on.
On this ship as on others too Joseph has given himself as Canadian.

RSwank
Captain

Post by RSwank »

Dena,

I took a look in ancestry.com and found the reference you give to Joseph Bullas on a ship "Panama" on April 10th, 1942. I think you misread the reference.
The ship was registered in Panama, but the name of the ship was the "Orville Harden". The Orville Harden was a tanker. Here is a link with some background and photos of the ship.

http://www.aukevisser.nl/inter/id155.htm

http://www.aukevisser.nl/german/id81.htm

http://www.aukevisser.nl/inter/id1061.htm

Since the ship survived the war, it would not have been the ship on which Joseph was "torpedoed".