Pilot (USN) Details Wanted

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Dean
Sergeant

Pilot (USN) Details Wanted

Post by Dean »

Hi gang,
I am looking for the details of a US Navy pilot who was the captain of an 11 Squadron (RAAF) PBY Catalina A24-9 that was lost on 21 Jan 42. The only information I have is LT G. Hutchinson so can anyone confirm his details for me please?

Thanks

davidf
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Pilot (USN) Details Wanted

Post by davidf »

Dean,

Lt Gregory Leland HUTCHINSON, US Navy, was attached to No 11 Squadron RAAF from 20 October 1941 for flying duties and as US Naval Observer. (Lt S.P. WELLER, USN was attached to No 20 Squadron on the same day).

Survivor of the crash of A24-9 Cpl KEEN said that natives buried three dismembered bodies near the wreck. Australian Graves Registration recovered the bodies and reburied them at Lae War Cemetery (Australian). The tooth charts of one of the bodies did not match any of the RAAF crew and was assumed to be that of Lt HUTCHINSON.

The US National Archives lists HUTCHINSON's home town as Seattle, Washington.
At the time of his death, the RAAF had his next of kin listed as his wife "Mrs G.L. Hutchinson, Chevron, St. Kilda Road, Melbourne, Australia".

I hope this helps.

Regards,
David F.

davidf
2nd Lieutenant

Post by davidf »

Correction - the name is Lt George Leland HUTCHINSON (not Gregory). Sorry.

David F.

Dean
Sergeant

Post by Dean »

David wrote:Um, have just noticed that your website IS ADF Serials .. oops. Not much else on google either.

Np David. Thanks for your help all the same.

Dean
Sergeant

Post by Dean »

davidf wrote:Dean,

Lt Gregory Leland HUTCHINSON, US Navy, was attached to No 11 Squadron RAAF from 20 October 1941 for flying duties and as US Naval Observer. (Lt S.P. WELLER, USN was attached to No 20 Squadron on the same day).

Survivor of the crash of A24-9 Cpl KEEN said that natives buried three dismembered bodies near the wreck. Australian Graves Registration recovered the bodies and reburied them at Lae War Cemetery (Australian). The tooth charts of one of the bodies did not match any of the RAAF crew and was assumed to be that of Lt HUTCHINSON.

The US National Archives lists HUTCHINSON's home town as Seattle, Washington.
At the time of his death, the RAAF had his next of kin listed as his wife "Mrs G.L. Hutchinson, Chevron, St. Kilda Road, Melbourne, Australia".

I hope this helps.

Regards,
David F.
It does immensely. Thanks David F.

Cheers

Edward
Administrator

Post by Edward »

Dean,

The loss of Catalina A24-9 is covered in Robert Piper's book Great Air Escapes (Pagemasters 1991) under the chapter "Sole Survivor" [pages 7-13].

Regarding George Leland Hutchinson, Piper notes that prior to his demise he participated in two other RAAF Catalina missions: a long distance raid on Truk and the search for the survivors of the HMAS Sydney off Western Australia. Hutchinson is buried at the Golden Gate National Cemetery at San Bruno, California [p. 13].

The Pacific Wrecks page on loss of A24-9 includes a photo of Lt. Hutchinson via Piper
http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/pby/A24-9.html

Edward