Fenton and Long, Northern Territory

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

Longrass
Private

Fenton and Long, Northern Territory

Post by Longrass »

G'Day Guys,

I'm in the process of writing a book on a region in the NT of Australia know as the Daly, as it is home to some very important WWII locations such as the Heavy Bomber Airfields of Fenton, Long and McDonald, as well as the Chemical Weapons dump at 88 Mile, the BIPOD at Brocks Ck and the Detention Camp and Hospital at Fountain Head road.

I've compiled a huge amount of data and have various trips planned to visit archives and so on, but I am having trouble tracking down ANY info on the following unit,

895th Chemical Coy A.O Detachment, also could be know as either the 825th or 895th Air Operations Coy.

I have an email from a gentleman 7 years ago who contaced Peter Dunn (ozatwar.com), by the name of Percy Kay, it reads as follows:

I stumbled on your site while trying to trace my WWII history. I was part of the 895th Chemical company (Air Operations) at Amberly Field from Dec. 1943 to spring 1944 when we were assigned to the 312th Bomb Group in Finchaven, New Guinea. I haven't been able to trace my company or bomb group. This info may not help you in your searchers but I thought that I would pass it along.
P.Kay

Can anyone give me any leads at all, or any info/anecdotes/unit histories etc on any activities at Fenton, Long or 88 mile.

Regards,

Phillip

ronjc
Private

Re: Fenton and Long, Northern Territory

Post by ronjc »

My father was a member of the 895th Chemical Warfare Company US Army and was stationed for a time at Amberley Field near Brisbane. In the history information he has left me, I find no references to your inquiry about "Fenton, Long or 88 mile". However, I would be interested in knowing if you have encountered any further information on the 895th that I might be able to follow up on for my research on this unit.

AFEOD
Private

Post by AFEOD »

G'day Phillip,
are you still researching and working on the book about Fenton and Long?

Cheers,

AFEOD.

Boba
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Boba »

I believe the 895th Chemical Coy was a part of Base Section 1 based at Adelaide River - the site of the unit's camp was north and west of the old Highway after turning off from the Fenton Road. A few kilomtres further north is the former RAAF Burrell Creek chemical warfare depot known as the '88-Mile'.

I documented this, the 895th and a number of other units for a history of Fenton I did c. 1988 and later mapped and documented all sites in the Adelaide River region in a heritage survey for the National Estate program for C of A. A copy of this 2-3 part report is in the NT Library from memory or also at the Heritage Conservation Section in Darwin. The Fenton report is also in the archives of the AHSNT in Darwin as they acquired my collection when I moved to Thailand. There is also a bulky file/s on Fenton and Long in the AHSNT/Alford Colln.

Trust this helps.

Cheers,

Bob Alford
Lampang Thailand

rxsotoac
Private

Post by rxsotoac »

All,
I am trying to assist the Australian Military Unit in seeking information on chemical units during the time periods you all described in your posts. The big thing we are looking for is the possible sites where departing units may have dumped or buried their munitions as they departed the country. Any information will be appreciated.

Boba
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Boba »

I have shown Army and RAAF personnel those sites that are suspect with both chemical and OXO and have also provided all this information to the military in Darwin and at Dept of Defence in Canberra on various occasions along with the positions marked on 1:50000 maps. I'm not sure what your role is in this but I'd suggest you check with the relevant section/department for all the material.

Cheers,

Bob Alford
Lampang Thailand

Boba
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Boba »

I have shown Army and RAAF personnel those sites that are suspect with both chemical and UXO and have also provided all this information to the military in Darwin and at Dept of Defence in Canberra on various occasions along with the positions marked on 1:50000 maps. I'm not sure what your role is in this but I'd suggest you check with the relevant section/department for all the material.

Cheers,

Bob Alford
Lampang Thailand

Boba
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Boba »

Delete all reference to OXO in the first reply - it's too 'beefy' and should read UXO...

Bob Alford

rxsotoac
Private

Post by rxsotoac »

Bob,
Many thanks for the post. Last year I assisted the Australian government in the assessment of munitions found near Chinchilla. They professionals I worked with there were a total professional lot. More importantly I enjoyed my visits there and hope to one day return as a tourist.

I promised officials that I would continually keep looking to see if there were any possible additional items.
Your post has shown me a path that I can assist these good folks.

I do appreciate your information and if you come upon any more I would also appreciate it if you could share it.

Ricardo
U.S.A.
You can also email me at: ricardo.soto-acevedo@asrcc.com
All your information will be held in the strictest confidence and will only be shared it with the Australian Government.

rxsotoac
Private

Post by rxsotoac »

Bob,
If you have the name of the office in Darwin I would greatly appreciate it.
Many thanks.
Ricardo

sheilaaellis44
Private

Post by sheilaaellis44 »

Fenton Field, 15 miles west of Brock's Creek in the Northern Territory, was built by Company C and HQ Detachment of the 808th Engineer Aviation Battalion from 27 April to 16 July 1942. Fenton airfield may have also been referred to as Brock's Creek airfield in its early development. The 808th built 6, 000 ft of runway 100 ft wide, paved with 4 inches of clay gravel. They also built 7,600 ft of taxiways, 50 ft wide with 15 ft shoulders paved with 3 inches of gravel and 28 dispersals without revetments.

In about mid 1942, 1st Lieutenant Manuel Burke Von Wald of the 43rd Materiel Squadron moved to Fenton airfield after it had been constructed by the Australians. He was the Commanding Officer of the first advance party that was responsible for the establishment of Fenton airfield. After the arrival of the CO, Burke became the Adjutant at Fenton. Burke stayed at Fenton airfield for about 2 years until September 1943.

The first of thirty eight B-24 Liberators of the 380th Bombardment Group left Topeka, Kansas for Australia on 15 April 1943. They arrived at Amberley airfield west of Brisbane between 22 and 30 April 1943.