South Pacific and Seas

Discussion about wrecks and losses as well as historic sites in the Pacific.

Moderator: Moderator

P-40 Petey
Corporal

South Pacific and Seas

Post by P-40 Petey »

Please help settle a friendly dispute I am having with someone:

The Northern coast of Papua New Guinea has the Bismarck Sea; the Southern coast of Papua New Guinea has the Coral Sea. Are these two seas technically part of the Greater Pacific Ocean, or do they stand alone as separate seas like the Mediterranean Sea? Are the Bismarck Sea, the Coral Sea, the Soloman Sea, the Phillipine Sea part of the Pacific Ocean proper? Or are they separate from but connected to the Pacific Ocean?

Pete

P-40 Petey
Corporal

Re: South Pacific and Seas

Post by P-40 Petey »

Yes, Smart guy Adam, I have heard of an Atlas. But that does not answer the question adequately.

For instance, If an airplane goes down North of Papua, New Guinea, can one say indeed that it went down in the Pacific?
Or would one say it went down in the Bismarck Sea, which is part of the Pacific? Can you see the distinction that we are trying to make here?

Thanks for your non-helpful sarcastic answer smart ass.

Pete

P-40 Petey
Corporal

Post by P-40 Petey »

Adam Gallon wrote:Ever heard of
a) An atlas?
b) Google Earth?
The Med is only linked to the Atlantic Ocean via the Straights of Gibraltar.
I am sorry about using the words "smart ass" to describe fellow member Adam Gallon.
Personal name calling has no place here and I am truly sorry for this lapse in decorum.

Pete

Daniel Leahy
Lt Col

Post by Daniel Leahy »

From Wikipedia:
The Bismarck Sea lies in the southwestern Pacific Ocean to the north of the island of Papua New Guinea and to the south of the Bismarck Archipelago and Admiralty Islands.
Daniel J. Leahy
Australia

AIR POWER ARCHAEOLOGY
http://www.airpowerarchaeologyc.com