Hi from Illinois

Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

Larry
Private

Hi from Illinois

Post by Larry »

I am the son of Carl W. Rohde. I inherited his photo album after he passed away. His photo album contains quite a few photos of WW-2 from the Pacific theater. He told me some stories mostly funny stories he kept the rest to himself. One of his favorite stories was when he was flying in the Super Chief. The GI's would get there beer ration every so often when they did they would load it in the bomb bay and where ever they had room. Once loaded they would take the Super Chief up to altitude and fly in a circle over the field for a few min. after sufficient time had passed they would make a bee line for the field where the GI's were waiting. They would touch down and as soon as they stopped they would open the bomb bay doors and out would come COLD BEER. From his story's it seemed that cold beer was a rare commodity in the pacific. He made a lot of friends he said and brought a few smiles to a few people that would not have had anything to smile about otherwise. I wounder if anyone on this forum was one of those people. I have a good story about a motorcycle I will tell some other time.