2nd Lt. Alva Guy Hawkins

Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

scottbthomas
Private

2nd Lt. Alva Guy Hawkins

Post by scottbthomas »

I am doing research on a late cousin of mine, 2nd Lt. Alva Guy Hawkins from the U.S. Army Air Corps. He went overseas with the 49th pursuit group in January of 1942. He arrived in Australia in February 1942 and was assigned to the 8th pursuit squadron. In late March of 1942, he was transferred to the 80th pursuit squadron, 8th pursuit group. On May 11, 1942, he was transferred to the 35th pursuit squadron, 8th pursuit group in Port Moresby, New Guinea. On May 12, 1942, he took part in interecepting an incoming raid and was forced to crash land at Vari Vari Island. He was flying a P39F with the s/n 41-7188. On May 27, 1942, he took part in intecepting an incoming raid ten miles south of Rigo, New Guinea. He was then marked M.I.A. At that time he was flying a P39F s/n 41-7153. He was flying on the right wing of Hervey Carpenter. Mr. Carpenter said the last time he saw Hawkins, Hawkins was presumably going after a Japanese fighter and flew into a cloud bank. He said that the air battle took place over land and sea. I am trying to find any information regarding these two dates mentioned above or anyone who may have known or heard of my relative and possibly of the P39s mentioned as well. Any help would be appreciated.