Book Research

Meet the PWD online community

Moderator: Moderator

Chris D
Private

Book Research

Post by Chris D »

I am a writer in US working on a book to be published next year about American military still buried abroad since c.1800. I'm looking for help from a group like this one with a number of questions:

1. Do we have an educated estimate of how many Americans may be buried Pacific locations - as opposed to lost at sea.
2. Do new technologies help to make search and recovery more productive.
3. Specific cases of those Americans found in recent years, if any.
4. Attitudes and feelings about the subject: why is this important, co-operation on non with other sources, should theybe repatriated or left in place if properly buried, etc.

Thank you.

Chris D
Private

Re: Book Research

Post by Chris D »

Thanks for advice from another member of the board to be more specific about my request for information about known and possible burials of American military in the Pacific Basin. I am aware of the ABMC cemetery burials, of course, also those of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and the ongoing work of JPAC. The book that I'm writing goes beyond what is generally known, and into lesser known or unknown burial places all over the world. There are many, and they are showing up in my research from Australia, across the Pacific Basin to Mexico, Canada, coastal Spain, north Africa, through England and Europe up to Antarctic Russia.

They would be burials that are not officially noted, or not well known because they are not ABMC or CWGC, or have not been undertaken and attended to by a friendly government, or are speculated upon from an educated perspective.

Thanks