Located on Guadalcanal slightly to the east and inland from Lunga Point, near Henderson Field. Also known as the "Marine Cemetery in Lunga" or "Guadalcanal Cemetery" or "1st Marine Division Cemetery, Guadalcanal". Later, the cemetery also included a New Zealand section. Postwar, also known as the "Army Navy, Marine Cemetery Guadalcanal".
Established a cemetery for American dead from the Guadalcanal campaign. By 1943 the cemetery was further developed with a chapel made of local materials and a large cross, surrounded by machine gun bullets and 37mm shells.
On September 17, 1943 First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt visited the cemetery during her day tour of Guadalcanal. She was photographed and recorded visiting several graves including Marine Cpl Stanley E. Friedrichs.
After the war, every grave was exhumed and
transported to Manila American Cemetery, National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (Punchbowl) or back to the United States for permanant internment. Afterwards, the cemetery was abandoned.
The former location is about 500 yards inland from the coast near the
During 2003 and the RAMSI operations on Guadalcanal,
the Australian forces used the hotel as part of their base, and located
several gravestones from the old cemetery. Although these were
not in anyway associated with remains, they are interesting relics. American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC) was alerted to their presence, but was uninterested
in them. But, many of these concrete slabs were made by buddies or
friends, and some quite elaborate in their sentiments or messages to
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018