Havannah Harbor Seaplane Base was located at Havannah Harbor between Efaté Island and Moso Island. The shore facilities were located on the northwest corner of Efaté Island and Matapu Bay.
During May 1942, a U. S. Navy "Seabee" detachment built a seaplane base to serve a squadron of PBY Catalinas. Havannah Harbor was used as the seaplane take off and landing area. Shore facilities were built on the northwest corner of Efaté Island including two coral ramps surfaced with wire mesh plus mooring bouys for fourteen seaplanes. In addition to the ramps and moorings, two small piers, two nose hangars, one 40' by 100' seaplane workshop, four 5,000-gallon underground gasoline tanks, and housing facilities for 25 officers and 210 men in quonset huts were constructed.
By June 1, 1942 PBY Catalinas began operating from this location for patrols and bombing missions against the Guadalcanal and the Solomon Islands. Also used by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) by PBY Catalinas.
Allied units based at Havannah Harbor
RAAF No. 11 Squadron
(PBY-4/5), based at Havannah and Noumea until
Building the Navy's Bases in World War II [Chapter 24] page 205
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
September 24, 2018