|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Next, Charles Lindbergh used the parade field for practice flights with "Spirit of St. Louis" prior to his trans Atlantic flight. During 1932, the US Navy briefly used the area for dirigibles and build a mooring mast and hanger for the program that were later abandoned.
During 1940, runways were constructed. The western side of the base known as "West Miramar" was used by Navy and Marine aircraft. On December 21, 1942 the 1st Marine Air Wing (MAG) was established at this location. During February 1943, designated Naval Auxiliary Air Station Camp Kearny (NAAS Camp Kearny and was used for training PB4Y-2 Privateer aircrews.
In March 1943, the Marines established Marine Corps Air Depot Camp Kearny, later renamed Marine Corps Air Depot Miramar, to avoid confusion with the Navy facility. Two concrete runways were built to accomidate heavy bomber operations.
In the 1950s, the eastern half (Camp Elliot) was used by the United States Air Force (USAF) for Project Orion and NASA. In 1969 the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School was established. In October 1972, VF-124 (F-14 Tomcat) began training pilots including squadrons VF-1 and VF-2 before deploying aboard USS Enterprise (CVN-65) during 1974.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|