Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
 
    Lowry Field (Lowry Air Force Base) Colorado United States

Location
Lowry Field was located in Denver, Colorado. Also known as Lowry Air Force Base or Lowry AFB.

Construction
In 1934, U. S. Army Air Corps announcement solicited a replacement training location in Denver. On August 27, 1937, the Air Corps Technical School Denver Branch was formed with Departments of Photography and armament. During February 1938, an airfield was constructed adjacent to Fairmont Cemetery was assigned to the Air Corps Technical School headquartered at Chanute.

On March 11, 1938 named Lowry Field in honor of 2nd Lt. Francis Lowry, the only Colorado pilot killed in combat during WWI. The runway was paved and opened on April 4, 1938 with the first landing by a B-18 Bolo. The former Agnes Phipps Memorial Sanatorium was converted into a headquarters building with a large barracks building completed in the middle of 1940. A second runway was build during 1941. Nearby, bombing ranges and gunnery ranges were established for training purposes.s

Wartime History
During 1941, Lowry Field was used as training base to train AIr Corps Cleks and bombardiers. During 1942, the Lowry Modification Center was established to outfit new bombers including B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators prior to their deployment overseas. Starting in 1943, the base began training B-29 Superfortress pilots and engineer training school. At the end of World War II, the base also served as a seporation center for demobilization.

Postwar
During the remainder of 1945, Lowry was home to Technical Training Command (renamed Air Training Command on July 1, 1946). Starting in July 1947, courses in intelligence training were taught for combat reporting, photographic intelligence, prisoner of war interrogation, and briefing and interrogation of combat crews.

On June 24, 1948 designated Lowry Air Force Base (Lowry AFB) and continued to conduct training under the 3415th Technical Training Wing, redesignated the Lowry Technical Training Center during 1959.

Today
The Buckley Annex was the remaining military installation after the "Whole Base Transfer" of Lowry AFB in 2006, the year the USGS listed the closed Lowry AFB. In 2007, the annex of 70 acres was planned for closure. The last remaining Air Force facility at Lowry was the Air Reserve Personnel Center, moved to Buckley AFB in August 2011. The final stages of cleanup of the base and annex were underway in February 2013.

Today, most of the base is now part of the neighborhood Lowry of Denver. Two hangars are used by the Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum. Building 1499 became the Big Bear Ice Rink, a dormitory for the Logan School for Creative Learning and base housing for the Stanley British Primary School. A dormitory and a former medical building on the east end of the base are owned by the state as part of the Higher Education and Technology campus. The last remaining military facility at the former Lowry base was the Defense Finance and Accounting Service Finance Center (6760 E Irvington Place), which had its own USAF Base Facility identifier in 2004 (08002D).[3] The Lowry Community Master Association (LCMA) is located at 7581 E Academy Blvd,[40] the former hangar with the name "Lowry Air Force Base" and which also has suites for Martifer Solar USA, Mor Beverage Corp, Montessori Casa International, and Extra Space Storage.

Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum
Located in two former Lowry AFB hangers

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
February 4, 2018

 

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
 
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram