Located on the coast, southwest of downtown Los Angeles.
In 1928, the Los Angeles City Council selected 640 acres in the southern part of Westchester as the site for the city's airport, building a landing strips without any terminal buildings. Named "Mines Field" for William W. Mines, the real estate agent who arranged the deal. The first structure, Hangar No. 1, was erected in 1929. Mines Field was dedicated and opened as the official airport of Los Angeles in 1930, and the city purchased it to be a municipal airfield in 1937. Prior to that time, the main airport for Los Angeles was the Grand Central Airport in Glendale.
The airport's name was officially changed to Los Angeles Airport in 1941. During the war, North American had a factory at the airfied and would fly finished aircraft off the runway.
In 1949, renamed Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Still in use today as one of the world's largest airports.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
September 24, 2018