Kiska Harbor Seaplane Base borders at Kiska Harbor on eastern Kiska Island.
This location was used prewar by the U. S. Navy (USN) as a seaplane landing operating area to support Kiska Station (Kiska weather station).
On June 6, 1942 five hundred Japanese Special Naval Landing Force (SNLF / Marines) from the No. 3 Special Landing Party landed at Kiska Harbor. The Japanese Navy developed the area around Kiska Harbor into their main base area known as "Main Camp".
A seaplane anchorage and forward base were established on the edge of the shore. Facilities included a large seaplane hanger built by October 1942. Anti-aircraft guns and coastal guns defended area.
A submarine base was established with a ramp and pens for Type A midget submarines.
Used by the Japanese as a forward seaplane and submarine base until their withdrawal from the island on July 23, 1943.
Japanese units based at Kiska Harbor Seaplane Base
Toko Kokutai (detachment 6 x H6K Mavis C.O. Captain Ito Sukemitsu) June 1942
Kimikawa Maru (E13A Jake, A6M2-N Rufe) June 8, 1942
Kamikawa Maru (F1M2 Pete, E8N2 Dave) June 15, 1942
5th Kokutai / 452nd Kokutai (A6M2-N Rufe, E13A Jake) July 5, 1942 - July 1943 evacuation
June 8, 1942 - August 17, 1943
When American forces occupied the area during August 1943. Abandoned equipment and wreckage was strewn over the area. Several aircraft wrecks found along the shoreline, including two E13A Jakes transported to Adak Island.
Midget Submarine (No. 1)
One of three midget subs damaged by demolition charges, remains on land
Midget Submarine (No. 2)
One of three midget subs damaged by demolition charges, remains in the surf line
Midget Submarine (No. 3)
One of three midget subs damaged by demolition charges, no trace today
Abandoned since the war. The remains of the wartime dock is still present to this day.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
May 22, 2017