Lat 21.44N Long 158.02W Located on Oahu roughly 15 miles from Honolulu and four miles from Schofield Barracks and Wheeler Field, on the road towards Haleiwa Field. Known as Kipapa Field, Kipapa Gulch Field or Kipapa Airfield or NAS Kipapa Field. Kipapa means “Paving the Way” in Hawaiian. Also incorrectly spelled "Kapapa" in some references.
During 1940, this area was surveyed for a potential airfield. During early 1942, Kipapa Field was built by the US military and later expanded to have three intersecting runways with dispersal areas for parked aircraft.
Although originally intended for US Navy carrier aircraft, the airfield was used by Army Air Force aircraft instead. During November - December 1942 307th Bomb Group B-24s flew sea search patrol missions from the airfield.
American units based at Kipapa Field
5th BG, 31st BS (B-17, B-18) Hickam May 23, 1942 - February 6, 1943 Bomber 1
15th FG, 6th NFS (P-70) US ? - April 18, 1943 New Guinea Sept 15, 1943 returns
318th FG, 19th (P-40) NAS Barbers Point May 30 - September 4, 1943 Stanley Field
307th BG, 370th (B-24) US November 2, 1942 - ?
7th AF, 28th PRS (F-5)
US January 16 - October 9, 1944 Kualoa Field
548th NFS (P-61) Hickam October 16, 1944 - ?
549th NFS (P-61) US October 20, 1944 - ?
7th AF, 6th NFS (P-47s and P-61s) John Rodgers Airfield Oct 28, 1944 - Jan 11, 1945 Saipan ret May 12, 1945
30th BG, 27th BS (B-24) Saipan March 18 - May 23, 1945 Wheeler
On July 1, 1947 the airport was placed under the Hawaii Aeronautics Commission (HAC). On July 23, 1948 Kipapa Field was leased by the HAC for use by private and student fliers, but closed in 1950. At that time, the single runway measured 1,700' x 200'. During 1951 the control tower was demolished and sold for scrap. The former runway continued to be used by student fliers into the late 1950s.
Hawaii Aviation - Kipapa Field
Abandoned & Little Known Airfields: Hawaii: Southern Oahu Island
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
September 24, 2018