Lat 35° 15′ 34″ N, Long 113° 56′ 17″ W Located eight nautical miles northeast of Kingman, Arizona.
Built by the US Army during 1942. On May 7, 1943 the base was officially named the Kingman Army Air Field (KAAF).
Kingman Aerial Gunnery School was used to train aerial gunners. The base was capable of handling two classes of about 200 students at any one time. During 1943, the policy was to have a class fire 1,200 rounds per student for one week on the Kingman Air to Air Gunnery Range (week five of the training cycle) and then move to Yucca Army Air Field during their second week.
American units based at Kingman
460th AAF Base Unit (as of April 22, 1944 redesignated 3018th Army Air Force Base Unit)
1120th Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron
1121st Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron
1122d Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron
1123rd Flexible Gunnery Training Squadron
334th Aviation Squadron
Sales and Storage Depot 41
At the end of hostilities, training ceased and the base was officially closed. On November 15, 1945, the property was declared surplus, and between 1946 and 1950 the various parcels were returned or leases canceled.
The Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC) established five large storage, sales and scrapping centers for Army Air Forces aircraft: Kingman plus Albuquerque AAF, NM, Altus AAF, OK, Ontario AAF, CA and Walnut Ridge AAF, AR. A sixth facility for storing, selling and scrapping Navy and Marine aircraft was located at Clinton, OK.
The War Assets Administration set up Sales & Storage Depot 41 at Kingman to store and sell off the base buildings and equipment. It is estimated that approximately 10,000 bombers and fighters were flown to Kingman during late 1945 and 1946. These aircraft were either sold or scrapped.
Kingman Airport is owned by the city of Kingman. The airport has two asphalt surfaced runways measuring 6,827' and 6,725. Airport codes: IATA: IGM, ICAO: KIGM, FAA LID: IGM.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018