Fort Douglas Airfield was located west of Salt Lake City in Utah in the United States. Also known as simply "Fort Douglas" or Fort Douglas Army Air Field" or "Salt Lake Airbase".
By October 26, 1862, Camp Douglas was established by the U.S. Army at this location, three miles east of Salt Lake City to protect the overland mail route and telegraph lines. In 1878, renamed Fort Douglas.
The airfield at Fort Douglas was also known as simply "Fort Douglas" or Fort Douglas Army Air Field" or "Salt Lake Airbase".
During World War II, Fort Douglas served as a mobilization and training
garrison, as well as a POW camp. By 1940,
Fort Douglas was comprised of three separate bases: Fort
Douglas, Salt Lake Airbase, and Wendover Bombing and Gunnery
Range. During World War II, served as a mobilization and training
base, airfield and Prisoner Of War (POW) camp. Also, headquarters for the 9th Service Command and as a
reception and separation center. In early December 1941, the 7th Bomb Group (7th BG) operating the B-17 Flying Fortress was based here and were bound for Hickam Field and arrived December 7, 1941 during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and Oahu.
On October 26,
1991 deactivated during Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) most of the property was turned over to the University
Douglas Military Museum
Located on the former base dedicated to its history
Historic For Douglas at the University of Utah
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 17, 2018