Lat 21.33 N Long 158.05 W Ewa Field was located at Ewa, to the west of Honolulu on Oahu in Hawaii in the United States. Also known as "Ewa Airfield", "Marine Corps Air Station, Ewa" or "NAS Ewa".
In the early 1930s, the U. S. Navy (USN) secured a lease to a 700 acre tract of land at Ewa and built a dirigible mooring mast and a 1,500' oil-surfaced emergency runway at this location. When dirigibles were phased out by 1939, Ewan Airfield was used by U. S. Marine Corps aircraft and became known as Marine Corps Air Station, Ewa. During 1940, the Navy purchased an additional 3,500 acres to expand Ewa. By December 1941, four runways were built at Ewa along with hangers and buildings.
On December 7, 1941, during the first wave of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and Oahu, eight A6M2 Zeros from Soryu strafed parked aircraft at Ewa Field destroying 48 U. S. Marine Corps aircraft on the group. During the attack, SBD Dauntless from Scouting Squadron 6 aboard USS Enterprise landed at Ewa Field.
Afterwards, Ewa Field served as a staging base and training facility for the remainder of the Pacific War.
American units based at Ewa Field
VMF-212 (F4F) comissioned March 1, 1942 C. O. Major Harold W. Bauer March 29, 1942 Port Vila / Tontouta
VMF-224 (F4F) comissioned May 1, 1942
VMF-213 (F4U) 1944
Until the early 1950s, Ewa Field remained in use by the Marines. For jet aircraft, Ewa Field's shorter runway approaches and proximity to NAS Barber's Point made it unsuitable and the Marine aviation units relocated to Kaneohe Bay. Disused as of 1952, Ewa was incorporated into NAS Barber's Point. The vast majority of the buildings of the former Marine Corps base were demolished in the subsequent years.
The former airfield area became part of the Barber's Point Golf Course. The runways and revetments are overgrown. Today, a memorial at Ewa Field is dedicated to Marine Aviators.
Abandoned & Little Known Airfields: Ewa Field
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 25, 2019