Located on Fongafale Island on the eastern side of Funafuti. The airfield area spans the length of the island from northeast to southwest.
Built by U. S. Navy (USN) Seabees 2nd Naval Construction Battalion.
It included an airstrip, control tower, facilities and radio
station located at Tepuka, connected by cable to the airfield.
By late 1942, Funafuti Airfield was in use for reconnaissance missions against Tarawa, Mili and Jaluit before
the conclusion of 1942. The first offensive operation from
Tuvalu was launched on April 20, 1943 with a twenty-two
B-24 raid from Funafuti to Nauru. Japanese aircraft attacked during a series of bombing raids.
Japanese missions against Funafuti and Funafuti Airfield
March 27-November 17, 1943
American units based at Funafuti
307th BG, 371st BS (B-24) April 23, 1943 Wheeler
307th BG, 372nd BS (B-24) April 23, 1943 Kahuku
Still in use today as "Funafuti International Airport". Airport code: FUN. Teagai Apelu's residence is the former headquarters building and includes a wartime bunker.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018