Lat 50° 41' 0" N Long 156° 7' 0" E Located on the
northeastern tip of Paramushir Island, nearest to Shumshu Island. Borders Kashiwabara Harbor. Also known as Paramushir, Paramuschir, Severo-Kurilsk. Prewar, Kashiwabara was the site of the largest Ainu settlement on Paramushir.
Japanese wartime airfield, heavily defended by twenty anti-aircraft positions. This airfield was used as a Japanese Army staging area in
the north. Heavily defended by the Japanese Army 91st Division with coastal defenses known as Kashibawara Fortress.
Japanese units assigned to Kashiwabara
91st Division, headquarters commanded by Lt. Gen. Fuzai Tsutsumi
74th Infantry Brigade commanded by Major Zeiji Zato
11th Tank Regiment, 4th Tank Company (detachment)
54th Sentai, 3rd Chutai (Ki-43 Oscars and Ki-44 Tojos) April 1943 - ?
American missions against Kashiwabara
August 11, 1943 - May 15, 1945
Soviet troops landed on Paramushir on August 18, 1945, during the Invasion of the Kuril Islands, and combat operations continued through August 23, ending with the surrender of the surviving members of the Japanese garrison. Afterwards, Kashiwabara was renamed Severo-Kurilsk.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018