Nadzab No. 4 Airfield is located nearest to Nadzab village in the Markam Valley north of the Markham River and northwest of Lae.
Built by the RAAF 62 Works Squadron, 2nd Mobile Works Squadron, 6th Mobile Works Squadron and 7th Mobile Works Squadron. Also, the 13th Survey & Design. Extensive taxiways and revetments
were built at the northeast and southwest ends of the runway.
World War II Pacific Theatre History
Designated by the US Army as APO 713, Unit 1 or APO 713-1. Used by American heavy and medium bombers. Later, this airfield became the primary airfield used by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) in the Nadzab area.
Naming of Field
Named this airfield "Newton Field" in honor of Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) 22 Squadron pilot F/Lt William Ellis Newton pilot of DB-7B
Boston A28-3 shot down by anti-aircraft fire on March 18, 1943 near near Salamaua who was captured and executed. He posthumously earned the Victoria Cross.
Allied units based at Nadzab No. 4 (Newton) APO 713, Unit #1
71st TRG, HQ
91st Photo Reconnaissance Wing
5212nd Reconnaissance Wing
3rd BG, 13th BS (A-20) March 1944
360th Service Group, FEAF CRTC, HQ 1944
CA-13 Boomerang Serial Number A46-174 Code QE-Y
Ground looped May 18, 1944 salvaged in 1974 by Charles Darby
Engineers in Theater Operations [Pacific] "Advance Area Aerodromes 31 January 1944", Map No. 24
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018