Located to the southeast of Marilinan, to the northwest is Tsili Tsili and Tsili Tsili Airfield. Also known as Narilian, Maralinan, Mariliman, Marilian or Maralinen.
Built prewar. As of mid 1942 the single runway was 800 x 100 x 500 surfaced with sod with excellent approaches and native food available.
World War II Pacific Theatre History
During the middle of June 1943, occupied by the Allies. The airfield was hastily expanded and improved by the US Army 871st Airborne Engineers. Used as emergency airfield. Also as a dummy strip to confuse the Japanese.
Disused since the war.
Richard Leahy adds:
"There were two runways in different directions, crossing one another. The second one which was never re-opened after the war was longer than the current one. The two wartime ones are further away towards Tsili Tsili village to the north of Maralinen. Roughly 2003, a group of gold miners did actually build a small strip very close to Maralinin village."
Notes about New Guinea airfields, recorded circa May - July, 1942 by Oliver C. Doan via Jean Doan research Edward Rogers
Thanks to Richard Leahy for additional information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018