Lat 14° 34' 0" N Long 21° 1' 0" E Nielson Field was located in Makati in southern Manila at Paseo
De Roxas Road and Ayala Avenue. Also known as Nielson Airfield.
prewar by the Americans as an airfield. The airfield had two intersecting runways, the main runway NW/SE and a smaller runway running NE to SW, with taxiways that connected both, plus dispersal areas in the surrounding area. Named Nielson Field after New Zealander Laurie Reuben Nielson who was a businessman and aviation enthusist in the Philippines.
Used by American Far Eastern Aviation and Philippine Airlines (PAL) as a civilian airport.
When the threat of war loomed, Nielson was take over by the FEAF and enlarged with hangers, workshops and facilities.
FEAF's Manila Air Depot where new aircraft were assembled and equipment stored.
Occupied by the Japanese and used during their occupation. On November 5, 1944 the main runway was 3,685' x 255' and the second runway was 2,100' x 255'.
Japanese units based at Nielson
51 Hikoshidan Shirebu Hikohan (51st Air Brigade) Ki-49 1945
missions against Nielson Field
January 26, 1942 - January 9, 1945
by Americans during March 1945. Several Japanese aircraft were captured at the airfield, including: Ki-49 Helen 3567.
Quickly, the airfield was repaired and again used as an American airfield. By July 1, 1945, the old SE/NW runway is now used for aircraft parking only. The main runway was surfaced with asphalt and gravel, expanded to 6,000' x 100' with a 500' overrun on each end and 25' shoulders. Field equipped for night operation, repairs with gas, oil and accommodations.
During 1945, Nielson Field was also known as APO 75.
American Units based at Nielson
374th TCG, 33rd TCS (C-47) from Hollandia April 8, 1945 - ?
374th TCG HQ (C-47s) from Biak May 28, 1945 - ?
374th TCG, 22nd TCS (C-47) from Finschafen August
1, 1945 - ?
In 1947 Nielson was closed as an airfield. Afterwards, the land was used for commercial development. The main runway is Paseo
De Roxas Road and the tarmac area is now Ayala Avenue.
The former airfield area became the commercial center of Makati. The former Nielson Tower (Manila Internation Air Terminal Building) is the only original building that remains.
Nielson Tower (Manila Internation Air Terminal Building)
The original tower and air terminal building. Today operated by the Ayala Museum and a restaurant Nielson Tower Club & Restaurant today Blackbird Makati.
Terrain Handbook 41A Manila City, page 34-35 map 18
Index to Air Bases - Research Report No. 85, I.G. No 9185 - July 30, 1944
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
September 24, 2018