July 25, 1946
Justin Taylan 2003
Lat 18° 11' 0" Long 120° 32' 0" Located to the south-west of Laoag at Gabu on the outskirts of Laoag near the
This airfield was built prior to the war.
and used by the Japanese beginning in
1941 when it was captured, until
they abandon the airfield due to guerilla raids. It was then
occupied by American forces. After the war, it was improved
and expanded further. Wartime Photo July 25, 1946.
Missions Against Laoag
On January 24, 1945 Major
Simeon Valdez, 2nd Battalion leads a raid on the airfield,
fire to a fuel dump. There are no casualties on the raider's
side. Similar attacks follow in the succeeding days.
Occupied by the Americans, used as a airfield beginning
in early April, 1945, after laying marston matting. American units all arrived from Mangaldan,
then departed for Ie
American Units Based at Laoag
3rd Air Group, 4th FS (P-51s) - April 5 -
August 9, 1945
3rd Air Group HQ & 3d FS
(P-51s) - April 19 - August 9, 1945
3rd Air Commando Group, 318th TCS (C-47's) - April 29 - August 25, 1945
The airport is still in use, as an international airport that services Ilocos
Norte Province, with flights from around the Philippines and China and Taiwan. Then & now
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
May 22, 2017
View in Google Earth