Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
 
    Dipolog Airfield Mindanao Philippines
Click For Enlargement
USMC c1945

Click For Enlargement

USMC c1945

Click For Enlargement
PAL 1951

Location
Lat 8° 36' 0" Long 123° 21' 0"  Located on the Zamboanga peninsula, along Dapitan Bay in Zamboanga del Norte Province the northern coast of Mindanao. Located 150 miles to the north of Zamboang.

Construction
Governor Matias Castillon Ranillo, who presented the idea for an airport at Dipolog. President Manuel L. Quezon authorized the construction in 1936. During 1937, a single runway 500m in length surfaced with macadam was completed. Vice President Sergio Osmeña inaugurating the airport onboard a Philippine Army Air Corps (PAAC) Douglas DC-2 The original terminal was made of composite wood material located at the northern side of the runway near the Philippine Constabulary Camp, now Camp Hamac in Sicayab.

Japanese Usage
Occupied by the Japanese during 1942 until early 1945. During December 1942, Governor Matias Castillon Ranillo was appointed by Fertig as provincial military governor. During late 1944, the airfield was attacked by American aircraft and largely neutralized.

Liberation
A week before the first Army landing, two Marine officers and six enlisted Marines were inserted behind Japanese lines. They were taken to the guerrilla-held airstrip near the town of Dipolog. Captured at the airfield was a Japanese L2D Tabby and a G4M3 Betty Tail 61-20.

American Usage
Within a few days, 16 Corsairs were there on the primitive Dipolog Field to support the guerrillas, as well as cover the landing of the 41st Infantry Division at Zamboanga on D-day, March 10, 1945. Used by USMC Marine Air Groups 12 and 32 during March 1945, to support operations in southern Mindanao and as an emergency airfield.

American Units based at Dipolog
VMF-115 (F4U detachment) March 27, 1945

Postwar
Restored to civilian service in 1947 with a longer runway and bigger terminal that was relocated to the eastern side of runway.

Today
Still in use today, airport code: DPL. This airport is located outside Dipolog City, and for tourists for access to Dakak tourist resort.

References
Thanks to Tony Feredo and Veronica Papa (granddaughter of Governor Matias Castillon Ranillo) for additional information

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
February 4, 2018

 

Google Earth
View in Google Earth
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
 
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram