Located on the north west edge of Negros about two miles inland. Located just north of Highway 1, north-west of Caduhaan. Prewar, this area was a a sugar cane plantation. Also known as Carolina de la Paz,
Luisita, Hacienda Luisita. Also known as Manapla Airfield.
The Japanese built a single runway at this location. The only structure at the airfield was a concrete command center, buried with dirt to hide it from observation.
Built by the Japanese during the war and used as a figher strip
American missions against Carolina
November 15, 1944 - January 19, 1945
Abandoned after the war as an airfield. Today it is a sugar cane
Narrow Gauge Rail Road
Originally, a narrow gauge railroad line and carts were used to bring sugar cane from the fields to the refinery. The Japanese used them to transport fuel and bombs from the coastline to the airfield.
Command Center Bunker
The remains of concrete
fortification built by the Japanese as a command center are still standing. This
was the only permanent building at the airstrip, and was covered
in earth to hide it from observation.
HO-5 20mm Cannon
Mason adds: "Using a metal detector we were able to recover numerous Japanese 20mm shell
casings and an HO-5 20mm cannon."
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018