Located at Talara at 295', to the east of the prewar Talara Airfield. Also known as "Talora". Wartime spelling "Talara". Also known as "Talara Field".
The first American forces arrived on March 8, 1942 and construction of barracks and other facilities began during August 1942. The US Army built a a single runway ran roughly north to south and measured 8,500' 300'.
Used by the USAAF, 6th Air Force to defend the South American coastline and for communications. During the war, APO 817.
American units based at Talara
336th Service Group
6th BG, 397th BS (LB-30, B-24A, A-17A) August 18, 1942 - May 4, 1943
32nd FG, 51st FS (P-40 detachment "D" flight) December 1942 - March 9, 1943 Seymour
6th BG, 3rd BS (LB-30, B-24A) David Field April 1- May 23, 1943 Salinas
1st PRG, 91st PRS (B-25, F-10) 1943-1944
During July 1944, the aircraft ceased using this airfield and most of the American force departed.
The US Army 153d Communications Squadron operated a communication station at the airfield until January 31, 1947 primarily to train Peruvian military personnel in communications.
Expanded postwar by the Peruvian military, Pista De La Fuerza Aerea Peruana. Still in use today as a military base.
Alae Supra Canalem page 40 (map), 186
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
September 24, 2018