Lat 0° 41′ 36″ S, Long 73° 9′ 20″ E Located on Gan Island in Addu Atoll.
During late 1941 British forces constructed a crushed coral runway for the Fleet Air Arm. Large oil tanks were constructed on Gan Island and Hitaddu Island as the tanks were easily visible from the air and aided pilots attempting to land due to the low elevation of Addu Atoll. Jetties were constructed on the north side of the island in the lagoon.
During 1957, the airfield was turned over to the Royal Air Force (RAF) and became known as “RAF Station Gan". Used in intermittently until 1971.
During 1976 the British turned the airfield over to Maldives government for use as a domestic airport. Known as "Gan Airport" or "Gan International Airport" owned and managed by Addu International Airport Pvt Ltd. Airport codes: IATA: GAN ICAO: VRMG. The single concrete surfaced runway measures 8,694' and runs in the direction 10/28.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018