Motoyama No. 3 (Airfield No. 3) was located in the north center of Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands in Ogasawara Subprefecture in Japan.
The Japanese began construction of a single runway at this location but it was not completed by February 19, 1945.
When American forces occupied this area, the partially constructed Japanese runway area was
converted into aircraft revetments and installations.
The Americans built a new single runway oriented roughly northeast to southeast measuring 5,200' x 200' with revetments and taxiways to the north and south connecting to Central Field. The control tower was code named "Pearl". Designated U. S. Army Post Office 86 (APO 86). North Field was used as a fighter airfield for P-51D Mustangs flying Very Long Range (VLR) missions against Japan.
American units based at North Field
506th FG, HQ, 462nd FS (P-51D) USA April 24, 1945
506th FG, 457th FS (P-51D) USA April 24, 1945
506th FG, 458th FS (P-51D) USA April 24, 1945
414th FG, HQ US July 7, 1945
414th FG, 413th FS US (P-47) July 7, 1945
414th FG, 437th FS US (P-47) July 7, 1945
414th FG, 456th FS US (P-47) July 7, 1945
After the Pacific War, North Field was abandoned.
The main runway is still visible.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
December 18, 2018