Lat 24°17′23″N Long 153°58′45″E Located on Marcus Island (Minamitorishima), spanning the length of the island. Also known as Minamitorishima Airfield or Minami Tori Shima Airfield.
Built by the Japanese Navy during 1935. The airfield included intersecting runways that spanned the length of the island: Runway No. 1 and Runway No. 2.
As of September 1, 1943 ravetments and at least one hanger were present at the base, along with fuel storage and radio masts and RDF station. The airfield was defended by light and heavy anti-aircraft guns emplaced on the island.
American missions against Marcus
March 4, 1942 - July 4, 1945
Occupied by American forces, the airfield was repaired and improved. During 1951-1968 the US Coast Guard improved the airfield and installed a tall navigation mast at roughly the center of the former Runway No. 1 during the 1951-1968 era. This mast was one of the tallest structures in the Pacific until 1985.
After Marcus Island was returned to the Japanese during 1968, the airfield remained in use by the Japanese Self Defense Force (JSDF) Today, only runway no. 2 remains in use. The runway is 4,498' and surfaced with concrete, 22' above sea level.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018