at Tami, to the south of Skomabo village to the west of the Tami River on the north coast of western New Guinea.
Built by the Japanese with a 4,800' single runway (as of March 21, 1944). There are no known Japanese
operations from this strip. It reached serviceable condition, but was not fully
in use prior to April 1944.
Alamo scout teams entered the area on D+2 (April 24, 1944) a sizable
party of missionaries and Japanese prisoners was liberated at nearby Goya
nearby, and were questioned and evacuated. On April 27 1944, reinforcements
of the G Company of the 162nd Infantry arrived
to clear the
Security was established for engineering units found it more or
less complete by Japanese standards.
The US Army finished the construction of the airfield. On May 1 1944, enemy snipers became
very active and additional US forces cleared the area
with vigorous paroling.
By May 3, 1944 a 3,800' runway was completed and ready for
use by C-47s. The wreckage of at least one Japanese aircraft was present at the strip [radio recovered].
It was extended to 4000' and used extensively
for cargo C-47 operation, at its height several hundred take offs
and landings per day to bring in cargo prior to the repair of Hollandia
Airfield. Due to
its swampy location further development was abandoned.
Disused since World War II.
Thanks to Richard Dunn for additional information.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018