Located near Truscott.
A single 8,000' single runway surfaced with marsden matting (PSP) was built at this location after the completion of Drysdale
Airfield to support aerial operations over Western Australia. The runway included loop taxiways at both ends of the runway with revetments. Each loop was designated with a letter: A, B, C, D at one end and E and F at the other end.
Named "Truscott Field" in honor of Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) S/Ldr Keith William "Bluey" Truscott who was killed piloting P-40E Kitthhawk A29-150 on March 28, 1943. Also known as "RAAF landing ground Truscott W.A."
Used by RAAF fighter, bomber and tranport aircraft.
The marsden matting surfacing the runway was removed and was instead sealed with bitumen. Abandoned along the
sides were unopened bundles of matting still painted
olive drab. A Darwin-based
scrap metal dealer (scrappie) removed the remaining metal and sold it for scrap.
Vehicles & Dump
There is a line of trucks and a steam roller
near the beach. There were piles
of beer bottles, English steel helmets, water tanks,
stacked drums still containing oil and fuel, still-bound bundles of steel marsden
matting still painted green, long stacked rows of
three different bomb tails in open frame crates,
bomb fuses/detonators, 50 caliber and 20mm
ammo everywhere and other junk.
Truscott is now a historic reserve and
nothing is allowed to be taken.
Burnt out remains near
the B-24 wreck. A Melbourne-based restorer got some
useful bits off this wreck. Stan Gajda adds: "In
1980 John Hardie did find one of the wheel doors near
the runway which he took as a wall trophy."
B-24M Liberator A72-160
Pilot Simsey crashed May 20, 1945
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
January 9, 2018