Located at the southwest corner of Palm Island. Also known as "NAS Palm Island" or "Palm Island Naval Air Station".
In early 1943, the US Navy
base and repair facilities located here, including slipway
and hanger facilities. Also, a repair base for the USN Fleet Air Wing 17
that operated PBY Catalinas.
Units Based at Palm Island
VP-34 (PBY) Relocated to Palm Island, under
the operational control of FAW-17 starting Dec 18, 1943, with forward
bases at Port Moresby and Samarai
VP-101 (PBY) Squadron headquarters were established
at Palm Island, with advance bases at Port Moresby and Samarai
VP-11 (PBY) After Guadalcanal, based at Palm Island.
At the end of the war,
all the aircraft remaining there were sunk, bulldozed or
rendered unserviceable and abandoned. Disused since the war.
PBY Catalina part
were abandoned at Palm Island. A variety of aircraft wreckage
was recovered in 1998 by RAAF
Amberly for their restoration of PBY
Catalina CV369. Despite nearly a half century exposed
to the elements, many of the components were in mint
condition and will be used in this beautiful restoration.
Recovered were PBY, and Super Catalina
parts. The pontoon was used
as a canoe by islanders.
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
February 4, 2018