12° 13' 60S Long 136° 46' 0E Located at Gove on the peninsula. Also known as
During 1943, built by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) 8 Airfield Construction Squadron. Gove Airfield had a single runway with circular taxiways on each side of the runway and was surrounded by roads.
Named "Gove Field" in honor of F/S William J. H. Gove of 2 Squadron who was KIA on April 12, 1943 over Millingimbi.
Later war, this airfield was used by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) for anti-submarine and reconnaissance missions and as a staging base for Merauke Airfield. At its height, over 5,000 personnel were stationed at Gove Airfield.
RAAF Units based at Gove
83 Squadron (Boomerang) Melville January - August 1944 Camden
13 Squadron (Ventura) Cooktown August 1944 - June 1945 Morotai
42 Squadron (PBY) Drimmie Head
Still in use today as Gove Airport, servicing the mining town of Nhulunbuy and several Aboriginal communities including Yirrkala. Also known as "Nhulunbuy Airport". Airport codes: IATA: GOV, ICAO: YPGV. A memorial sign is located near the terminal area.
CA-13 Boomerang A46-14
Pilot Ayre crashed May 22, 1944 recovered to the airport
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
September 24, 2018