|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
On September 21, 1939 assigned to 11 Squadron operated from Walter Bay off Ela Beach and Fairfax Harbor off Port Moresby. During 1940, used as part of a RAAF survey flight operating in New Guinea with S23 "Calypso" A18-11.
Between May 1940 until the start of the Pacific to investigated suspicious movements, defend trade and conduct periodic reconnaissance over Port Moresby, Rabaul, Tulagi and Port Vila, organize a radio network, establish Advance Operational Bases (AOBs) and defend Port Moresby.
Armed with two scarff rings on the top of the fuselage with 7.7mm Lewis guns and swivel brackets in windows cut into each side of the fuselage for 7.7mm machine guns.
During late 1940, unsuccessfully searched for German surface raiders in the area.
On November 18, 1940 assigned to 20 Squadron as part of a transportation flight.
On February 12, 1942 assigned to 33 Squadron based at Townsville.
Additional armament was added including a single 50 caliber machine gun in the mooring compartment hatch, twin 30 caliber machine guns above the navigator's hatch and a 50 caliber machine gun shared between mounts on each side of the flight deck. The windows cut into each side of the fuselage were upgraded with 50 caliber machine guns.
At the time, both pilots were ashore and only the flight crew was aboard. Fueled with 1,400 gallons, the flying boat caught fire immediately. Crew member Sgt Andrew Ireland launched the life raft and helped to pickup other survivors before they were picked up by a larger rescue boat. Later he earned the British Empire Medal for bravery.
This flying boat was officially written off on April 16, 1942.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|