Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer
Although the PB4Y-1 Liberator was used by the US Navy during 1943 to 1945. During 1942, it was reasoned that the Liberator would be more stable
with a single fin and In May 1943, the Navy contracted with Consolidated-Vultee
Aircraft Company to build the PB4Y-2 Privateer.
At first, the aircraft was nicknamed "Sea Liberator". Since approximately 50 percent of
the bombers internal components were changed and the belly turret
deleted, it was essentially a new model and was finally called
the "Privateer". In addition to the single fin, seven feet was added
to the length, and two Martin upper turrets and twin Erco waist
blisters were installed. Although the belly turret was deleted,
the defensive armament of the Privateer was not diminished with
it having twelve 50 caliber machine guns compared to ten on the
The PB4Y-2 was a heavily
armed gun platform and could readily defend itself from fighter
attack while unleashing punishing blows on Japanese shipping and
shore installations. In April 1945, some Privateers were modified
to carry the Bat and were designated as the PB4Y-2B. In January
1945, the first squadron outfitted with the Privateer arrived
in the Pacific.
A total of 739 were built by Consolidated in San Diego.
Engine 4 x Pratt & Whitney
Length 74' 7"
Height 30' 1"
Maximum Speed 237 mph
Range 2,800 miles
Armament 12 x 50 caliber machine guns
Bombload 12,800 lbs of bombs