Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
  P-40E Kittyhawk Serial Number A29-38  
75 Squadron

Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
David Gillis 1969
Click For Enlargement
Click For Enlargement
Ray Fairfield 1970
Click For Enlargement
Rodger Kelly 1970s

Pilot  Sgt David Stuart Brown, 401489 (POW, executed May 26, 1942) South Yarra, VIC
Force Landed  April 11, 1942

Aircraft History
Built by Curtiss in Buffalo, New York. Delivered to the U. S. Army as serial number 41-5532. Disassembled and shipped overseas to Australia and reassembled.

Wartime History
During March 1942, assigned to the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). This P-40 was to be assigned to 76 Squadron, but was allocated instead to 75 Squadron. No known nickname or nose art. During April 1942 flown to 7 Mile Drome near Port Moresby.

Mission History
On April 11, 1942 took off from 7-Mile Drome near Port Moresby piloted by Brown on a mission to attack Lae. Instead, intercepted by A6M2 Zeros and force landed near the beach at Kwong Point at Salamaua. Brown survived the landing unhurt.

Fate of the Pilot
Brown was taken prisoner and transported to Lae then to Rabaul for interrogation. He was last seen alive on May 26, 1942 by two American prisoners: Reed and Lutz from B-26 40-1400 on the wharf at Rabaul. Brown was separated from them and never seen again. In fact, he was executed and his remains buried in a mass grave on Matupi Island

Recovery of Remains
Postwar, Brown's remains were recovered and identified from a mass grave on Matupi Island by S/L Keith Rundle during May - June 1947. During 1950, he was interred at Bita Paka War Cemetery at grave H. C. 8.

After the force landing, Japanese forces moved his P-40 onto the shore and attempted to salvage the aircraft. Until the middle 1980s, this aircraft remained in situ, including the engine and propeller.

Rod Pearce recalls:
"I remember playing on this wreck as a child, and an eldery man witnessed it land. According to him, locals assisted the Japanese to move it closer to shore. I heard two different stories about it. One, that it landed wheels down on the tidal flat, and the Japanese pulled it up onto the beach, because there was a road behind it. Another story was the plane landed wheels down, and the Japanese jacked the wheels down and moved it to the beach to salvage it. In the mid-1960s the machine guns were removed."

Steven Mundt adds:
"I visited Salamaua in the fall of 1986, and this aircraft was still on the beach."

During the late 1980s, Ian Whitney salvaged this aircraft by moving it onto a pontoon and planed to tow it to Lae. The pontoon overturned in the Huon Gulf and the wreckage sank into a depth of roughly 600'.

Richard Leahy adds:
"I recall being informed that it was in fact an RAAF plane, and about its removal and loss. It looked to be a total wreck. Do not know why anyone would bother removing it."

ADF Serials - P-40E A29-38
CWGC - David Stuart Brown
World War Two Nominal Roll - David Stuart Brown

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
February 4, 2018


Tech Info

1 Prisoner

Photo Archive

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram