|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Built by Lockheed Aircraft Corporation (LAC) in Burbank. Constructors Number 222-5347. Delivered to the U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as P-38E Lightning serial number 41-2156 and converted from into a F-4 photographic reconnaissance version. Disassembled and shipped across the Pacific to Australia. On August 12, 1942 at Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) in Melbourne and reassembled.
Assigned to the 5th Air Force, 6th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, 8th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron. Nicknamed "Limping Lizzie" outlined in black in a cursive style. Squadron Nose Number "56" was painted in white on the outside of the left engine cowling.
This F-4 operated from 14 Mile Drome (Schwimmer) near Port Moresby flying photographic reconnaissance and photographic mapping missions in New Guinea.
On April 30, 1944 flown from Port Moresby to Amberley Airfield near Brisbane. On May 15, 1944, this aircraft was rejected by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) due to its poor condition from extensive use. This aircraft was never assigned a RAAF serial number. On September 26, 1944 condemned at Brisbane and likely scrapped sometime afterwards, ultimate fate unknown.
Other sources list the nickname as "Leaping Lizzie" incorrectly.
USAF Serial Number Search Results - F-4-1-LO Lightning 41-2156
"2156 loaned to RAAF (*Leaping Lizzie*) from 8/1943 until end of 1943. Did not get RAAF serial number. Condemned Apr 26, 1944."
The Lockheed File - 41-2156 "Limping Lizzie"
NAA Series A11093 Item 3081559
The Eight Ballers - Eyes of the Fifth Air Force (1999) by Stanaway and Rocker page 9 (lower left photo), 17 (upper right photo), 19 (center photo), 44 (photos), 45 (photos), 46 (upper left photo)
Thanks to Robert Rocker for additional information
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|