|Missing In Action (MIA)||Prisoners Of War (POW)||Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)|
|Chronology||Locations||Aircraft||Ships||Submit Info||How You Can Help||Donate|
Sold to Missions-Verkehrs-Arbeitsgemeinschaft (MIVA) / Missions Transport Association for use in New Guinea. This aircraft was baptized by the Archbishop of Cologne and nicknamed "St. Paulus". Registered as HB-XAL in Switzerland to Father Frederick Zeigler of Einsiedeln, Switzerland.
During 1935, disassembled and shipped overseas to Madang and was reassembled at Alexishafen Airfield (Danip Airfield) for use by the Catholic Mission of the Holy Ghost (Alexishafen Catholic Mission).
Operating in New Guinea, the aircraft had a natural metal finish with a red painted tail with the Swiss flag and registration HB-XAL on the fuselage. The nickname "St. Paulus" was painted painted in black block letters below rear cockpit on both sides of the fuselage. Below the forward cockpit on the right side was MIVA in black block letters. On right side of the nose was the logo of the association a Catholic cross with wings.
On July 9, 1935 aircraft's first flight in New Guinea was from Alexishafen Airfield (Danip Airfield) on a flight over Nake and return. This aircraft operated from Alexishafen Airfield (Danip Airfield) piloted by mission pilots German Willy Schafhausen and Austrian T. S. 'Stan' Johnson flying from the mission to remote outposts to communicate messages, transport supplies or a passenger.
On August 4, 1936 registered in Australia as VH-UUR. The new registration was painted on both sides of the fuselage in black block letters. Later, registered to Madang AT Company to pilot Johnson.
This aircraft suffered an accident (date unknown) on a return flight from Mount Hagen Airfield delivering supplies to Father Ross on a flight bound for Madang Airfield or Alexishafen Airfield (Danip Airfield). Damaged during the landing, this aircraft was repaired over nine months.
On February 2, 1939 took off from Alexishafen Airfield piloted by Willy Schafhausen on a flight via Mondia Pass into the Chimbu Valley before making the first landing at Keglsugl Airfield at an elevation of 8,400' / 2,600m near the Dengagu Catholic Mission in the Chimbu Valley.
In 1946, released and came into possession of Alex Oliver of Port Maquarie, NSW who operated the aircraft for many years. This Klemm piloted by Oliver crashed into two parked aircraft at the Australian International Air Show at Avalon and at the time was uninsured.
During 1951 Johnson sold the aircraft to Colin B. McLeod of Southport, QLD. In 1953 sold to two years later it was sold to Alex Oliver of Gunnedah, NSW.
During the 1960s the original Siemans engine was replaced by an Continental O-200 four-cylinder horizontally-opposed air-cooled engine delivering 100 hp and mounted without a cowling. During the 1970s painted white with a red stripe and tail number 217.
During 2009 disassembled and shipped to the United States for that year's EAA Oshkosh Airshow where it flew. Following the airshow, disassembled and shipped back to Australia. Afterwards, this aircraft was under restoration by Matt Webers at Luskintyre Airfield and Aviation Museum and is scheduled to return to flying status by November 2017.
|Discussion Forum||Daily Updates||Reviews||Museums||Interviews & Oral Histories|