Junkers G 31
The Junkers G 31 was an airliner produced in small numbers in Germany in the early 1920s. It was an all-metal, low-wing cantilever monoplane of conventional design, based on the G.24. The first G 31 was certified for air transport on September 7, 1926. The G31 was not a commercial success. Just 13 aircraft were built between 1926 and 1931. Used by Lufthansa until 1935, when replaced by the Junkers Ju 52.
G 31 go
Freighter version with cargo door on roof, open cockpit built during 1929.
Junkers in New Guinea
Four other G 31s were sold for freighting cargo in New Guinea. Operated by Guinea Airways, one was owned by the airline itself, while the other three were owned by the Bulolo Gold Dredging Company Flying from Lae to Bulolo.
The first filght to Bulolo was in March 31, 1931. They carried an average
load of 5,700
lbs. Flying without unecessay gear, limited fuel and good weather, they
could carried loads up to 8,290 lbs, and many loads over 7,000lbs.
Crew Two (Pilot, Co-Pilot)
Engine 3 x BMW-built Pratt & Whitney Hornet, 391 kW (525 hp) each
Span 30.30 m
Length 17.28 m
Maximum Speed 132 mph
Range 656 miles