Grumman F7F Tigercat
The Grumman F7F Tigercat was the first twin-engined fighter aircraft to enter service with the United States Navy, designed for the Midway class aircraft carriers. At the end of World War II, Tigercats were delivered to some United States Marine Corps (USMC) squadrons, but did not fly combat missions before the war ended. Postwar, F7Fs were operated as land based interceptors and night fighters. The F7F-4N model was certified for carrier operations.
During the Korean War by USMC squadron VMF(N)-513 "Flying Nightmares" operated the Tigercat and claimed two Polikarpov Po-2 biplanes. Withdrawn from service in 1954.
Technical Details F7F-4
Crew Two (pilot, radar operator)
Engine 2 × Pratt & Whitney R-2800-34W "Double Wasp" radial engines, 2,100 hp (1,566 kW) each
Span 51' 6"
Length 45' 4"
Height 16' 7"
Maximum Speed 460 mph
Range 1,200 miles
Armament 4 × 20 mm canons, 4 x 50 caliber machine guns
Bombload 2 × 1,000 lb bombs under wings or 1 × torpedo under fuselage