|Pilot Edward S. Avery (survived)
Force Landed January 16, 1942
Built by Martin in Baltimore, Maryland. Constructor Number 1324. Delivered to the U. S. Army Air Force (USAAF) as B-26 Marauder serial number 40-1459.
Assigned to the 11th Air Force, 77th Bombardment Squadron. No known nose art or nickname. On December 29, 1941 arrived at Elmendorf Field.
On January 16, 1942 took off from Elmendorf Field piloted Edward S. Avery by one of three B-26s on a ferry flight to the south. Low on fuel, all three Marauders force landed wheels up at Smith River in British Columbia. During the crash, the nose section was wrecked. Also lost were B-26 40-1501 and B-26 40-1464.
The entire crew was later rescued.
Later in 1942, this bomber was stripped for usable parts then abandoned. Until September 1971 the wreckage remained in situ.
During September - November 1971 this bomber was recovered by a team funded by David Tallichet / Yesterdays Air Force.
Afterwards, stored at Military Aircraft Restoration Corporation (MARC) from 1972 until 1991 at Chino Airport. In April 1991, registered as N4299K.
During 1991, transported to MAPS Air Museum and restoration was begun to airworthy condition.
Registration N4299K was canceled on May 18, 2011.
As of May 2013 externally restored at the facility. Painted in the markings of "Charlys Jewel" with the nose art of a cartoon woman wearing boots, a yellow skirt, black shirt and hat smoking a corn cob pipe.
USAAF Accident report lists force landing as January 16, 1942 and the location as Watson Lake, Yukon Territory
and assignment as 3rd Air Force. Other sources list date of force landing as January 15, 1942
USAF Serial Number Search Results - B-26 40-1459
MAPS B-26 40-1459
Out of the Wilderness: Restoring a Relic
FAA Registry N4299K
WarbirdsDirectory - Martin B-26 Marauder
Thanks to Dave Pawski / MAPS Air Museum, B-26 Crew Chief for additional information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?
October 1, 2018