Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks   Donate Now  
Search Chronology Locations Aircraft Vessels Missing In Action (MIA)

B-25J-5-NC Mitchell Serial Number 43-27979  
USAAF
13th AF
42nd BG
100th BS

Pilot  2nd Lt. John W. Magnum, O-751383 (KIA)
Co-Pilot  2nd Lt. Clarence W. Acker, O-765211 (KIA)
Navigator  2nd Lt. Thomas F. Quinn, O-569858 (KIA)
Radio  Cpl Philip Arkus, 32802439 (KIA)
Engineer  Sgt Carl V. Snyder, 35867076 (KIA)
Gunner  Cpl Wallace E. Hough, 12199927(KIA)

Crashed  January 11, 1945
MACR  AFPPA-14 (April 10, 1946)

Aircraft History
Built by North American. Delivered to the U. S. Army. Ferried overseas to the South Pacific.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 13th Air Force, 42nd Bombardment Group, 100th Bombardment Squadron. No known nose art or nickname.

Missin History
On January 11, 1945 took off from Sansapor Airfield (Mar) on a low level bombing mission against Kendari Airfield. Over the target, hit by anti-aircraft fire, and crashed on after a on the south-eastern arm of Celebes Island. The entire crew were presumed to perish.

An eyewitness recalled in after action report (Mission Report #245):
"It is believed that the aircraft was hit in the right engine just after dropping its bombs in the target area. The plane was observed to slowly settle while on fire. It crashed and exploded on a ridge 6,000' west of the target area P-1 at Kendari. The bombay doors were still open when the plane exploded. There was no chance for any of the crew to escape alive."

Memorials
The crew is buried in a group burial at Zachary Taylor National Cemetery at section E site 145-146.

Relatives
Christopher P. Brown (nephew)
"My Uncle was Thomas Quinn. I am hoping that those of you who search for aircraft remains in the S.W. Pacific may have information on, or have seen, the wreckage of my Uncle's B-25, and provide specific details as to its location and status. Quinn had completed his rotation and was due to be redeployed back to the U.S., the CO asked if he would volunteer for two additional missions. He was a B-25J pilot, but filled in as the navigator on the doomed flight. Shortly after receiving the MACR I located the 80 yr old wife of Clarence Acker, and she states that he was the pilot, not the co-pilot (I found her name by researching the WWII Memorial site for his listing and her name was posted"
FindAGrave - Wallace Hough (grave photo)
FindAGrave - Thomas Quinn (grave photo)
FindAGrave - Clarence W. Acker (grave photo)

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
May 22, 2017

Tech Info
B-25
    All rights reserved.  
  Pacific Wrecks Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charity dedicated to bringing home those Missing In Action (MIA) and leveraging new technologies in the study of World War II Pacific and the Korean War.  
Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram

Forum Updates People Museums Reviews Submit Info How You Can Help