Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate
Bruce Hoy Diary Entries related to B-25D 41-29701
via Bruce Hoy, former, PNG Museum curator

14 April, Monday, I received a phone call from David Pennefather advising me that he had been shown the wreckage of a B 25 with a tail number ending in "701" lying near the village of Uhita. I then visited the United States Embassy in town. Typed a letter to David Pennefather providing details of the crew and circumstances. I concluded my letter with the following:
"Although the crash-site is very well known, according to our records, the remains of all the crew have not been recovered. I am investigating this with the United States authorities, and until advice has been received to the contrary, the crash-site is hereby deemed a war grave, and should be investigated."
15 April, Tuesday, Typed a letter to CIL-HI with the details of the discovery of the B-25C 41-29701 and I requested that the unit examine their records to ascertain if the crew are still listed as missing.
29 May, Thursday, met the advance party of CIL-HI, Kelly and Horn at the airport.
31 May, 1 June, survey flights from Port Moresby described in full in my diary.
1 June, Sunday, typed a letter to Maclaren Hiari, First Assistant Secretary, Department of Oro in Popondetta, advising him of the intentions of CIL-HI to visit his Province "sometime between 10 and 13 June to talk to him and possibly drive out to the B-25 crash-site near Uhita Village. The party will check to see if the site is worthwhile investigating. I will call you as soon as I have a definite date, as we will need both you and access to a vehicle for a few hours."
Nothing recorded in my diary of CIL-HI activities between 2 and 8 June.
9 June, another survey flight in the Lake Myola area fully described in my diary.
11 June, Wednesday, The rest of the CIL‑HI team arrived from Honolulu this afternoon.
The team, after spending several days conducting search flights from Port Moresby, flew to Lae and then to Tsili Tsili. Following that phase, the team flew to Rabaul for a Search and Recovery mission and returned to Port Moresby on 3 July. On 5 July, operations commenced to clear 41-2505 on Mt Obree. The CIL-HI team departed for Hawaii on or about 11 July following the 41-2505 mission. Despite the original plans, the team did not get to Popondetta during this mission
26 November, Wednesday, Sgts Nash and Baughman arrive at Jacksons from Hawaii at 1.25pm.
29 November, Saturday, Nash, Baughman and Mrs Patti Hall depart for Alotau.
2 December, Tuesday, Nash, Baughman and Hall depart Alotau on board a chartered fisheries vessel for Deboyne Island.
8 December, Monday, Patti Hall arrives back in Port Moresby from Alotau and makes a connecting flight to Los Angeles via Sydney.
10 December, Wednesday, call from Nash in Alotau requesting me to reserve accommodation for his party at the Gateway Hotel.
11 December, Thursday, Later, met up with Randy Nash and Tommy Baughman after the Deboyne Island trip that was again without success. They briefed me on the mission.
I am not certain when Nash and Baughman flew to Popondetta – it could have been the 12th or 13th.
They then conducted a survey of C-47 41-38601 which was first visited on 28 July by David Pennefather who found evidence of human remains. I advised CIL-HI by telex through the US Embassy the same day. Sgts Nash and Baughman walked into the site for a preliminary investigation between 12th and 14th December.
15 December, Monday, Sgts Nash and Baughman departed Popondetta at 8.00am to conduct a survey of the crash-site of 41-29701. They were shown the wreckage and told of a burial. The report concluded, "It is suggested that the recommendation of Mr Hoy (in my letter to Mr David Pennefather) to consider the crash site as a war grave continue until further research and documentation can be obtained from the Casualty Data Section, USACILHI."
16 December, Tuesday, Randy and Tommy return from Popondetta.

3 June, Thursday, CIL HI called into my office, and sorted out their equipment and then drove it out to the airport. The CIL HI team then flew to Popondetta. Accommodation at the Lamington Hotel booked by me several weeks ago.
(I am certain that during this phase, CIL-HI investigated C-47 41-38601, but am uncertain if they also investigated 41-29701. They were aware of the latter site, so I am sure it would have been included. You will need to contact JPAC to confirm this.)
18 June, Thursday, the CIL-HI team departed for Doribosoro by fixed wing aircraft, landing there at 7.00am where after establishing their camp they spent the night.
(This entry reveals that the team had returned from the Popondetta area by 17 June at the latest, more than likely a day or so earlier, cleaned their equipment and prepared for the next phase of their mission to PNG.)

Contribute Information
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  
Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram