Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate

B-24J-80-CO Liberator Serial Number 42-100205  
USAAF
5th AF
22nd BG
408th BS

Click For Enlargement
Justin Taylan 2003

Pilot  1st Lt. Robert W. Laurie, O-795410 (KIA, BR)
Co-Pilot  F/O Percy Donack, T-60908 (KIA, BR)
Navigator  2nd Lt. George R. Brinker, O-691710 (KIA, BR) KY
Engineer  Sgt Harold H. Santarelli, 31166334 (KIA, BR)
Radio  S/Sgt Joseph A. Piszczek, 6980430 (KIA, BR) WA
Passenger  S/Sgt Armand D. Cingranelli, 6980430 (KIA, BR) Rome, NY
Passengger  Sgt Carl F. Tomlinson, 18020142 (KIA, BR) OK

Crashed  March 12, 1944 at 21:00 hours
MACR  15323

Mission History
Built by Consolidated at San Diego. Delivered to the U. S. Army. Ferried overseas via Hawaii to Australia.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 5th Air Force, 22nd Bombardment Group, 408th Bombardment Squadron. No known nickname or nose art.

Mission History
On March 12, 1944 took off from Garbutt Airfield near Townsville at approximately 2:30pm on a flight bound for Port Moresby arriving at 8:00pm in darkness during a blinding rainstorm. The pilot found the area closed in by weather, and began circling looking for an opening. In touch with the tower, he made two approaches, but was too high each time. The pilot was last heard to said "I see the runway" but crashed at 9:00pm near Burns Peak into a valley near Port Moresby, killing everyone aboard on impact.

Wreckage
In the late 1990's this area was blasted for a highway road cut, for a highway connecting Port Moresby. The area where the wreck was located is still visible, but it is suspected the wreckage disappeared or was scrapped around that time.

Bruce Hoy recalls:
"In a small valley to the right that can be seen from the road leading up to Burns Peak, is the remains of this B-24, but I think nothing now remains of that. I took some 5th AF veterans to the site (I seem to recall them as being from the 22BG – the same group that 42-100205 was assigned) during which I managed to identify the wreck as being 42-100205. The serial number was on a bomb shackle which I brought back to the museum. It was raining when I took the veterans there and it was only through the shackle being wet that the numbers were visible. When the shackle dried out, the numbers disappeared."

Memorials
The entire crew was officially declared dead the day of the mission. Postwar, their remains were transported to Hawaii and the United States for permanent burial.

Piszczek is buried at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific (Punchbowl) at section E site 418.
Cingranelli is buried at Saint Johns Cemetery in Rome, NY.
Brinker is buried at Ashland Cemetery in Ashland, KY.
Tomlinson is buried at Oak Hill Memorial Park in San Jose, CA.

The other crew burials are unknown, presumably in private cemeteries in their hometowns.

Relatives
Piszczek (son of Joseph Piszczek)
"My father, SSgt Joseph Piszczek, was the radio operator on the flight. He is not listed in the [MACR] because he was a last-minute substitution for someone else. The bodies of the entire crew, including my father's, were recovered from the wreckage within a couple of days of the crash, but I understand the plane itself was simply abandoned."

References
Missing Air Crew Report 15323 (MACR 15323)
PNG Museum Aircraft Status Card - B-24D Liberator 42-100205
FindAGrave - Armand Cingranelli
(grave photo)
FindAGrave - George R Brinker (grave photo)
FindAGrave - Joseph A Piszczek (grave photo)
FindAGrave - Carl F Tomlinson (grave photo)
Thanks to Bruce Hoy for additional information

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
February 4, 2018

Tech Information
B-24
  Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  

Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram