Pacific Wrecks
Pacific Wrecks    
  Missing In Action (MIA) Prisoners Of War (POW) Unexploded Ordnance (UXO)  
Chronology Locations Aircraft Ships Submit Info How You Can Help Donate

B-24D-5-CO "Lady Beverly" Serial Number 41-23760  
USAAF
5th AF
90th BG
319th BS

Pilot  1st Lt John H. Werner, O-437628 (MIA / KIA) WI
Co-Pilot  2nd Lt Edward J. Devine, O-726682 (MIA / KIA)
Crew  1st Lt Edward J. Walpole, O-434621 (MIA / KIA) IL
Crew  2nd Lt Walter C. Seidel, O-727928 (WIA, survived)
Crew  S/Sgt Albert L. Butterfield, 39166921 (WIA, survived)
Crew  S/Sgt William B. Gregory, 6576588 (MIA / KIA) CA
Crew  Cpl John J. Glenn, 34301678 (KIA)
Crew  Cpl Harold L. Williams, 14058711 (MIA / KIA) NB
Crew  Cpl Raymond J. Slazas, 12012081 (MIA / KIA) PA
Crew  Pvt Claude J. Semler, 37113199 (MIA / KIA) IA

Ditched  November 15, 1942 at 8:00am
MACR  16076

Aircraft History
Built by Consolidated at San Diego. Delivered to the U. S. Army. Ferried overseas via Hawaii to Australia.

Wartime History
Assigned to the 5th Air Force, 90th Bombardment Group, 319th Bombardment Squadron. Nicknamed "Lady Beverly". This B-24 was lost on its first combat mission, and was the first combat loss for the 319th Bombardment Squadron.

Mission History
On November 15, 1942 took off on a bombing mission against Buin-Faisi area. Over the target, hit by anti-aircraft fire and returned from the mission damaged. Ditched at approximately Lat 10.22 Long 149.35 near Baibara Island off the southern coast of New Guinea. Afterwards, two survivors were observed in the sea by B-17C 40-2072.

Ray ? adds:
"Took off on its first combat mission to Buin-Faisi. The crew of which I was a member, Major Eckert's crew, was on that first mission. One of my radio buddies, William B. Gregory, was radio operator on Lt. Werner's crew. While on its bombing run over the target Werner's plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire and struggled for home with damaged engines. Ultimately, this crew also had to ditch, and eight of its ten member crew were killed in the crash. Two of the crew made it to shore alive, and ultimately, as I recall, two others were washed ashore dead the next day. I don't believe the bodies of the remaining six were ever recovered."

Memorials
The missing crew members were officially decleared dead on November 15, 1942. All are memorialized on the tablets of the missing at Manila American Cemetery.

Wreckage
In 2005, Pacific Helicopter pilot Manu Stack visited this area, and was informed of this crash site and reported it to Brian Bennett who reported it to JPAC.

References
Lt F. W. Carroll navigator log sheet
PNG Museum Aircraft Status Card - B-24D Liberator 41-23760

Contribute Information
Are you a relative or associated with any person mentioned?
Do you have photos or additional information to add?

Last Updated
February 4, 2018

Tech Information
B-24

Map
10.22 149.35
Aprox

MIA
MIA
10 Missing

Discussion Forum Daily Updates Reviews Museums Interviews & Oral Histories  

Pacific Wrecks Inc. All rights reserved.
Donate Now Facebook Twitter YouTube Google Plus Instagram